Apple macOS 11.0Big Sur Compatibility - Feedback

JuanP

1 hour ago, CnHSolar said:

I get this message

I think (I hope for you)

it could also just be one of the new security features in Catalina and Big Sur

that you aren't used as a Mojave user

(I skipped Catalina at that time. Also I had no Problems with the Big Sur update

from old Mojave, but YMMV)

E.g. You have to allow manually for each application that needs it, that it can

Access File and Folders. And I think it differs between local and external drives.

Or some even need a full Disk access permission.

I think such a Dialog can be easily overseen or answered accidentally. 

3 hours ago, zoomer said:

I think (I hope for you)

it could also just be one of the new security features in Catalina and Big Sur

that you aren't used as a Mojave user

(I skipped Catalina at that time. Also I had no Problems with the Big Sur update

from old Mojave, but YMMV)

Thank you -- I did some digging on the security features and found what you mentioned about the access control per application, sadly -- see below

3 hours ago, zoomer said:

E.g. You have to allow manually for each application that needs it, that it can

Access File and Folders. And I think it differs between local and external drives.

Or some even need a full Disk access permission.

I think such a Dialog can be easily overseen or answered accidentally. 

Vectorworks 2021 was not listed in the access control list -- I added it -- granting full access to Vectorworks and even to the other supplied apps in the VW 2021 folder, but no luck.  I'm still getting the same message.  It does not appear to make any difference if I grant full access or just files and folders.

I did not see any mention of allowing access during any of the installs I've done ?

I'm curious what settings for that access you have enabled on your Mac

Thanks

hmmh, I already had a lot of Apps in my Security Settings brought over

from Mojave.

Like I have lots of Apps activated in Accessibility (but not VW)

VW came new to Files and Folders (not full access like other 3D orCAD)

VW 2021 is new to Automation : Finder

Blocked in Calender and Contacts

I think that's it.

What I see is that many of them have no + button where you could manually

add an App later.

I installed VW 2021 directly after release which was a much older Beta.

I think I updated 3 times since then. And I didn't notice any installation problems.

Issues solved,  the system volume was behaving as though it was case sensitive, even though the volume info said "case sensitive no".  The whole "case sensitive" volume thing is kind of odd to say the least.  

I found another post on the forum that mentioned the same error I'd encountered, which prompted me to to check the my system volume.  I confirmed the disk was acting as though it was case sensitive. I was able to create a file "FRED" and another file "fred" in the same directory.  I reformatted the drive -- APFS non-case sensitive, reinstalled Big Sur Public Beta, a couple other apps and then VW 2021 SP-1 and it's working well.

In regards to Security & Privacy system settings I see VW 2021 Installer having full disk access but find no other entries for VW in the Privacy tab.

Thank you for your help.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, rDesign said:

@JuanP - As it seems to happen every year that a new macOS is released, some users will immediately update to the new macOS as soon as it is released without checking these Vw User Forums first to see if there are any issues that would disrupt their workflow.

I think it would be very proactively useful if the Vw Marketing / Sales department could promptly send out an email to all of the registered Vw users on file letting them know about the issues that have been posted in the Tech Bulletin on macOS Big Sur Compatibility.

I have a few apps that do this for me every year with Apple's releases, and it's greatly appreciated.

Presumably that outreach would also lighten the load of call volume to tech support, and moderating the forums.

• Like 3

TESTING 2021 OS 11.0.1 (Big Sur) on intel Macs looking very good!  Running on lesser Macs for Testing :

- 2014 Mac mini 8gb ram

- 2015 iMac 3.2ghz quad i5, 32GB ram, 2GB AMD radeon gpu

No bugs or glitches so far. Speed looks normal. Same boot times, panning and zooming so far normal. Printing to Laser, Inkjet, Plotter all good.

Edited by Don Seidel
  • Like 1

Blank grey window when opening drawing files

I just upgraded to macOS 11 (Big Sur) and now every time I open a drawing it just shows a grey blank window. I've tried at least 30 times now with different settings and workspaces etc. but always just grey and blank. Attached a screen shot with the issue on my computer.

My drawing will appear if I zoom in/out (using the mouse scroll wheel) but some view functions no longer work: For instance "Fit to Page Area" and "Fit to Objects" both do not work anymore (the view doesn't change) no matter how I try (selecting from the View:Zoom menu, clicking buttons or using keyboard shortcuts).

On macOS X 10.15 (Catalina) I also had this issue but only sometimes - about every 5th time I opened a drawing file, I got a blank grey window. The only remedy I found was to close the drawing and reopen it. This "fix" doesn't work on Big Sur unfortunately as they all open to grey blank.

It seems that now with macOS 11 (Big Sur) this unfixed bug is becoming much more of a serious problem.

I'm on Vectorworks 2019 SP6, but I can see other people have had the same issue on various versions of Vectorworks (at least on 2019, 2020, 2021 and possibly more) and on both Mac and Windows.

I've also tried starting fresh - deleted all Vectorworks files in Application Support, Preferences and of course the entire user folder, and I still get grey blank windows every time I open a file.

If anyone have and tricks to fix this I'd love to hear. 🙂

Here are my system details:

macOS Big Sur Version 11.0.1

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Processor: 4,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory: 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Vectorworks: 2019 SP6 (Build 522773) (64-bit)

Note: I found some threads with people having the same (or similar) problem but none of the tricks seem to work:

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 13.36.11.png

Edited by Jeppe Utzon
Further info
6 hours ago, zoomer said:

I assume there are some hiccups with Apples AMD GPU Driver and

newer GPUs and latest VW graphic updates.

If you set VW Settings Display lower than best performance, do the

issues go away ?

I just tried all combinations of "Use VectorCaching for faster drawing", "Anti-aliasing", and "Navigation Graphics: Best Perf. / Good Perf. and Comp. / Best Comp." and still only blank grey when opening drawings in all cases. But thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Jeppe Utzon
  • Confused 1
10 hours ago, Jeppe Utzon said:

I'm on Vectorworks 2019 SP6, but I can see other people have had the same issue on various versions of Vectorworks (at least on 2019, 2020, 2021 and possibly more) and on both Mac and Windows.

The OS Compatability chart shows that VW2019 is not compatible with Big Sur. 

If you need VW, you are either going to have to upgrade VW or roll back to Catalina.

Hello–

Will there be a patch released anytime soon for VW 2019 users that upgrade to Big Sur? The aforementioned solution to simply upgrade VW to 2021 may not be financially viable during this poor economic period. In all fairness, VW 2019 should not be an antiquated product in year 2020.

Thank you.

Long time VW user.

@Zeno, What is the size of your Dell monitor and what resolution do you have it set for?

If it is a big monitor, but only 1080P (meaning a resolution of 1920 x 1080), then the sizes of the individual pixels will be large and things will not look as crisp as you Retina displays.

Alternatively, if the default resolution on the monitor is 1080P, but you are driving it to a higher resolution, then individual pixels won't match and you will get a blurrier image.

Almost every time I save via keyboard short cuts it now crashes.... been fine for years (2019/2020) PLUS sometimes the same happens when exporting to PDF... 

Everything else seems to be fine... SO frustrating *** however, at least it saves on the crash :) ***

Any solutions ? 

VW 2021, Big Sur 11.0.1 ,

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM

Hmmh, the other icons are sharp.

For me it looks more like an issue that I also have with other Apps,

where a few abandoned Panels Icons seem to be still not HiDPI ready,

or don't work with HiDPI scaling at ugly numbers.

Like I use 175% scaling on my 24" 4k display on Windows and Linux

and some Icon Sets or even Toolbox sizes can only adapt to double

scaling or use the smaller Icon resolution accidentally.

Hey, I seem to never learn as I also had issues when  updating to catalina, same again for big sur. After updating both my macbook and work mac, both had the exact same issue. (using VW 2019 SP6) when doing anything on screen, eg moving, copying deleting, the screen does not update my actions, until I scroll in/out to zoom, this then updates the actions I have committed. its not as bad as the catalina issues where I had memory leaks and can be worked around, more annoying than anything to have to update the view by scrolling every-time I do anything...

On 10/11/2020 at 9:50 PM, Mau said:

What about people using 2019? Are you guys developing package to fix problems on 2019. I mean this is a must. 

nope, sent in a bug for 2019 and it seems its now too old, outdated and non compatable, meaning VW 2019 is now basically useless.... seems very odd to me that what you buy as a product is basically unusable forcing you to buy a more 'up to date' version.

I upgraded from latest Catalina to Big Sur and VectorWorks 2021 crashes my computer, I have tried to install SP2 and it crashes at 76% complete.  VW 2020 works on my computer with Big Sur and 2021 SP0 worked under the latest version of Catalina.

installed 2021 SP0, deleted all files in directory.  Downloaded and installed VW 2021 SP2, problem solved, now works great.

• Like 1
  • JuanP unpinned this topic