Apple macOS 11.0Big Sur Compatibility - Feedback

JuanP

I noticed in 1st public Beta and current public Beta 5 (?)

It was VW 2020 SP4(.?) and now I checked again in SP5.

I am on an old 2013 Trashcan with D700s.

But someone else mentioned that it happens for him in an earlier macOS too.

(El Capitan maybe)

So far I tried to switch OpenGL back to compatibility and performance,

but that did not change anything.

Good to know.

And you have basically the same Hardware.

So I played a bit.

- Using a standard Workspace does not help

- Setting different Transparencies or darker/brighter cplor in Interactive doesn't help

- Hiding/Rebuilding VW User Folder does not help

- VW Updater > Repair > 101 files repaired does not help

- Starting with a (real) blank STA file does not help

- Resetting macOS highlight color back to default blue does not help

3 hours ago, dtheory said:

trashcan mac, 2020 sp5, beta 5 of Big Sur.. I don’t have this issue. exit edit button displays normally 

What has @dtheorywhat I don't have 😉

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

To add some more info here.. In Big Sur latest beta and VW Designer 2020 SP5, I spent the last few days working in a file doing some simple things.. (corrections for a permit cycle) doing a lot of annotation editing in viewports, clouding, callouts etc.. and experienced no issues whatever..

This is simple stuff.... not modeling, stair tool etc..BUT.. I hope it bodes well for 2021 and Big Sur. (YMMV)

I do NOT recommend anyone try this unless they have backups of both system AND all of the VW assets that you're using...

And remember that NOTHING is truly backed up until it is on at least three different types of media in at least two geographically separate locations. Preferably significantly distant locations.

So being on your hard drive (probably SSD now), and on an external drive (flash or HDD/SSD), and being somewhere in the cloud would meet the criteria.

But with all the syncing services (Dropbox, iCould Drive, OneDrive), I don't count those as a cloud backup. If something happens to your local copy, then the sync'd copy will end up with the same corruption very quickly. You need to use something like Arq, Backblaze, or a similar backup system, preferably one that does multiple historic versions of files to truly have a backup.

And if you want things to truly be backed up for the long time, you need to backup not only the data, but also the running application. In the past I would say you even needed to backup the hardware you are running, but now it is probably reasonable to just create a virtual machine running an appropriate version of the OS and VW.

My NSHO based on 30 years of losing and recovering data.  

• Like 4

Hi all. I just upgraded my OS to Big Sur on my MacBook Pro (2018), and everything seems to operate and function well in Landmark 2020. Been working pretty much the same without problems both 2D-3D. The only issue I've experienced so far, is that when I input the cmnd+s to save, the software shuts down. It does do the save, but I have to relaunch the app. If I press "yes" on the autosave I have programmed every 10 minutes, the save command works and the software keeps running. Also if I prompt the File menu and save manually, it works as well. So far, no any other issues. 

2 hours ago, Anna Guzman said:

when I input the cmnd+s to save, the software shuts down

If upgrading to Big Sur is the only change you've made, that does make it sound like it would be a problem of Vectorworks running on Big Sur… but if it were I think more people would be reporting this problem. Therefore, I suggest you: 

1. Check for software conflicts: 
    • Close all programs, then reopen only Vectorworks and try again. If that doesn't resolve it;
    • Restart you Mac in Safe Mode then see if it persists. (Safe Mode turns off little 'service' applications that don't show up on your Dock). 
  2. Account for a potentially corrupt Vectorworks preference/setting file and Reset Vectorworks Preferences
  • Like 1

I would like to share my experience testing Vectorworks 2020 with MacOS Big Sur, specifically with an Apple Computer fitted with the new Apple CPU chip (Apple MacMini Transition Kit).

First, the VW2020 SP5 installer is broken if one tries to download the VW2020 SP5 directly to this new hardware configuration.  Upon starting the installer on the new platform, a blank windows appears where it should ask if you want to QUIT or CONTINUE.  The same problem was experienced with SP4 of VW2020 on the same platform.  To circumvent this issue, a copy of VW2020 SP5 was downloaded on a laptop loaded with a previous version of MacOS (any MacOS prior to Big Sur works) and VW2020 SP5 download file.  The installer is then started on the laptop.  When asked where to install the software, I selected my new Apple Transition Kit (MacMini) that was previously authorized on my home network.  The process is slow, but worked.

Back to the MacMini with Big Sur.  Started VW:

1.  It first requires me to re-enter the VW License info, even if the info was provided during the installation process.  

2.  The second error message states that the "VISION Library" can't be loaded.  Selecting OK gets rid of the msg and the VW finally loads.

3.  The first real bug relates to the SIGN IN to Selective Service (Top Right "SIGN IN" on the main window)  - the app crashes when attempting to sign in.

So far, I ran 2D features with a few VW existing files, and have not found any problems.  

This is my first day with the HW/SW combination - will report any further issues.

I hope it will help anyone trying to test VW2020 with the new Apple Hardware CPU chip. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, dletour said:

The second error message states that the "VISION Library" can't be loaded.

This is something that occurs on occasionally for both Mac and Windows users, but usually shows up after Resetting Vectorworks Preferences. Click here for the remedy

Regarding the first issue you mentioned - that the installer opens exhibiting problems if downloaded directly to the Apple Silicon Mac Mini, I think this might be avoided if both the .dmg and the installation application were opened using Right-click > Open, instead of double-clicking. I suspect this because (my experience suggests) macOS GateKeeper more readily blocks the opening of files downloaded from the internet but not files copied onto the drive from elsewhere. 

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Best said:

Regarding the first issue you mentioned - that the installer opens exhibiting problems if downloaded directly to the Apple Silicon Mac Mini, I think this might be avoided if both the .dmg and the installation application were opened using Right-click > Open, instead of double-clicking. I suspect this because (my experience suggests) macOS GateKeeper more readily blocks the opening of files downloaded from the internet but not files copied onto the drive from elsewhere. 

Based on your comment, I just tried to initiate the dmg and VW installer with the right-click OPEN commands.  Still the same result: a blank screen.

I will try the Vision Library remedy recommended tomorrow. 

Thanks!

As additional information, if an attempt is made to start the VW2020 SP5 installer file on the Apple Silicon Mac Mini, from terminal, the following msg appears:

"*** WARNING: Textured window <AtomNSWindow: 0x7f9ec8910680> is getting an implicitly transparent titlebar. This will break when linking against newer SDKs. Use NSWindow's -titlebarAppearsTransparent=YES instead.”

This leads me to believe that there are coding standard changes with MacOS Big Sur that the Technical Staff at VW should (will) work on...

Edited by dletour
15 hours ago, dletour said:

I just tried to initiate the dmg and VW installer with the right-click OPEN commands

Remember to right-click > Open with the actual installer app as well. - I believe this is more important than with the dmg actually.

There error from Terminal in your last post brings doubt to the relevancy of my suggestion, but it might be a seperate matter because you get different results when running a copied-over installer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm new here on the Forum. I just got off the phone with sales at Vectorworks.  My question is ?

I'm on a 27" iMac running Catalina Ver 10.15.6 and Vectorworks SP 2020. I also run Vectorworks SP on my MacBook Pro. I will need to upgrade Big Sur when it comes out.

Will Vectorworks SP 2020 continue to work / function after upgrading my Mac OS ? And will it continue to function ?

Thank You 

Edited by JSN Design

Why do you NEED to upgrade Big Sur when it comes out?

Yes, VW2020 will most likely be made compatible with Big Sur, but Apple often throws things in at the last minute so 3rd party developers can not guarantee or even test for compatibility until Apple released the new OS.

If you can wait a couple of weeks or months, you will have a much better chance of having full compatibility between MacOS and VW.

I believe the service pack to provide full compatibility between VW2020 and Catalina took about 6 weeks to be released.

I don't speak for VW. I am a volunteer moderator, long time user and VW fan.

HTH

• Like 3
On 9/25/2020 at 1:24 PM, Pat Stanford said:

If you can wait a couple of weeks or months, you will have a much better chance of having full compatibility between MacOS and VW.

Or a year. Still on Mojave here. Apple just released 10.15.7 today (the first .7 release ever of the annual upgrade cycle; the first since Snow Leopard). There will be more supplemental updates to follow. I’ve had zero issues with VW on Mojave. I’ll upgrade to Catalina when Big Sur is released. If you’re using that computer and Vectorworks for work, wait a year to upgrade macOS.

That said, if you need to buy a new Mac that comes preloaded with Bug Sir... Godspeed.

For context, totally different story with iOS, iPadOS, watch OS, tvOS... Those are all basically fine right now.

43B6D876-9819-4356-BC3B-06413B010483.jpeg

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, JSN Design said:

Hello,

I'm new here on the Forum. I just got off the phone with sales at Vectorworks.  My question is ?

I'm on a 27" iMac running Catalina Ver 10.15.6 and Vectorworks SP 2020. I also run Vectorworks SP on my MacBook Pro. I will need to upgrade Big Sur when it comes out.

Will Vectorworks SP 2020 continue to work / function after upgrading my Mac OS ? And will it continue to function ?

Thank You 

Yes, for me it worked.

I was also afraid to activate VW 2021 license on Windows PC and

old Trash Can Mac Pro (When I eventually buy a newer Intel Mac soon)

but VW 2020 did not require a new license activation after I upgraded

from Mojave to Big Sur Open Beta.

So I also Upgraded VW 2020 to2021 on Trash after it was released.

What happens in case I upgrade my Mac with VW (3rd?) activation,

we will see. I am not sure if that license activation offere on a 3rd machine,

due to Corona and for home office support, is still valid.

If there is a problem I will contact my reseller.

As I think it is a common issue that you already activated your license

on your desktop+laptop and want to upgrade on of these computers.

Edited by zoomer
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 5:01 PM, JuanP said:

@Anna Guzman Could you make sure you are running Vectorworks 2020 SP5? We fixed a similar issue with previous versions of 2020 running Big Sur - Thanks

What about people using 2019? Are you guys developing package to fix problems on 2019. I mean this is a must. 

Edited by Mau

In preparation for upgrading from 10.14 Mojave I figured I'd try to jump to Big Sur, so I've installed the public beta 11.0,  (20A5395g ) on a fresh disk, do a clean install, yes painful but I'd like leave 7 years of accumulated stuff behind and start fresh.

Installed 2021 SP1 and had no issued during the install but it won't run.  I get this message

875468212_ScreenShot2020-10-19at8_25_31AM.thumb.png.235d5ca5a2a8fde462931cbb6aa20d18.png

I've reinstalled, and thinking it was having issues with the install on my other drive, Mojave, (which is working fine). I had only the clean install of Big Sur drive mounted.

Vectorworks 26.0.1 in installed in the Application/Vectorworks 2021 folder -- nothing moved, license registered, but still ....

I called support and was told they don't support Big Sur -- but if they have posted news and created a thread here, how do they expect to get some feed back ?

Thank you

Yes, this is my first post here

Edited by CnHSolar
remove blank lines, reformat and make nicer

@CnHSolar I would highly recommend upgrading Mojave to Catalina first. I made the mistake of skipping a generation in the past, and long story short, would have to buy a 2012 Mac, install Mountain Lion, and start a new upgrade path for the files that weren't "touched". The recommendation is always to upgrade the current Mac OS, so it can "touch" (move around, etc) the files.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm on 10.14.6. My plan is to run Catalina for at least a month (probably more like a year). In your case, if you're eager to run Big Sur, you could maybe cut that down to a week? If so, I would open every app, and as many files that don't drive you crazy. Even if you just ran Catalina for a day, that would be better than a clean install.

Think of Catalina as a bridge from Mojave to Big Sur. After upgrading, it's safe to do a clean install.

Edit: also, all of the supplemental updates that are released at the end of a Mac OS cycle (like right now) are to patch bugs that they finally got around to, and also to patch bugs for the transition to the new OS. So you'll want those supplemental updates to patch your system before upgrading. There were 3 SU's at the the end of Mojave. There's only been 1 SU for Catalina, so there could be more. Apple tend to release them even after the new release ships, so we could see a 10.15.7 SU 3 a month after Big Sur is released.

Also, not for nothing, but this is a major upgrade to Mac OS. Reports are that it's super stable (for first-party Apple apps and light use) but this is not the upgrade to roll the dice and play compatibility roulette. Most of my third-party apps and peripherals are warning against upgrading right now (until they give the green light). I expect a handful more to be blindsided by compatibility issues for myriad reasons (typically the case ever year / upgrade).

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
  • JuanP unpinned this topic