2021 - Teaser Tuesday: Work Smarter with User Interface Improvements

JuanP

3 hours ago, Ian Lane said:

This is the intent of the detachable tab palettes task and the ability to direct edit in the nav palette.  We wanted to give users the ability to keep these lists open all the time and edit the info so maybe they don't have to use the org dialog as often.

Our plan is also to support more columns on the nav palette and make them editable in the future.  

What functionality do you need in the org dialog that you can't get from the nav palette?  This will be helpful information for us to have.

Hi Ian,

i think we need this, for the navigation palette:

- underlaying colors for sorting (classes and layers, design layers)

- grouping of layers

- enhanced class/layerfilters with option to save visibility (visible, grey, invisible)

- tags (IMPORTANT)  as separate palette for structuring objects, with option to set tags to: visible, grey, invisible.

- archive for unused layers

- better visuality for class hierarchy

- options for different text sizes (small, mid, big) for 4k monitors

- separationlines as object to separate layers (no more dummy layers for that) and for classes too

this all is a update worth for me!

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Tobias Kern said:

- tags (IMPORTANT)  as separate palette for structuring objects, with option to set tags to: visible, grey, invisible.

I've heard a couple mentions on the forums of adding "Tags" to objects as another way of controlling object visibility. I must say I'd be quite hesitant about this. Vectorworks already has two entire paradigms for organization: Classes and Layers. Most CAD programs only have one level of control, so Vectorworks is already more flexible having two. (Of course that means it's also more confusing for new users.) Adding a tertiary level of classification would likely be the tipping point that would make organization completely overwhelming to anyone who isn't an advanced user. Classes should be thought of as tags for now, although I realize they can't do everything.

If anything, perhaps Data Visualization could be expanded to include visibility (visible, grey, off) as one of the things it can do, rather than only recoloring things. For example you could make all objects of a particular texture invisible, or that have a particular record format attached. That would likely provide the flexibility you're looking for without adding an entire additional level of organization.

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 4

You could effectively have tags, by allowing objects to be assigned to more than one class. Would there have to be some kind of hierarchy though?

(Tag/class A says "visible", Tag/class B says "invisible" - which one does VW go with)

This is effectively what many of us do with container objects... container has one class, things inside it have others.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:17 AM, Tobias Kern said:

Are you referring to data tags? You can filter the Nav palette by tag. And in the Org window, there's a Class Tags List. However, short of creating a worksheet, I'm not sure where I could view a column of tags as they're applied... I'm guessing it's a logical limitation because you're tagging objects not layers.

Anyway, filters have become my best friend. Especially when working with others because we can hide each other's stuff to focus on our own stuff. Hope that helps in the meantime!

22 hours ago, line-weight said:

You could effectively have tags, by allowing objects to be assigned to more than one class. Would there have to be some kind of hierarchy though?

(Tag/class A says "visible", Tag/class B says "invisible" - which one does VW go with)

This is effectively what many of us do with container objects... container has one class, things inside it have others.

Like the good ole "0" class in AC... 

On 9/21/2020 at 11:17 AM, Tobias Kern said:

- archive for unused layers

There's a filter for "non-empty layers" so you can hide them in the Nav palette.

Same with classes, although it's called "Assigned classes". I thought there was a way to view unassigned classes but I can't find it in VW21 (or just forgot how).

17 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Are you referring to data tags? You can filter the Nav palette by tag. And in the Org window, there's a Class Tags List. However, short of creating a worksheet, I'm not sure where I could view a column of tags as they're applied... I'm guessing it's a logical limitation because you're tagging objects not layers.

Anyway, filters have become my best friend. Especially when working with others because we can hide each other's stuff to focus on our own stuff. Hope that helps in the meantime!

hi mark,

greetings. i mean tags for objects (not for classes or layers).

i know theres some logic to think about, with a tag system for layers.

but i think this could be solved. maybe with a hierarchy for those tags.

i know the function to tag classes and/or layers.

what i dont like is, that i cannot save the visual state of the classes/layers

with those filters

• 2 weeks later...