replacing Symbols with Plant Objects

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Plant are symbols (red symbols - symbols that know they are parametric objects), so you can select the blocks and choose Modify > Convert > Replace with Symbol.
You could probably replace them all with the same plant symbol, and then select groups of plants and choose Replace Plant on the Object Info palette as you choose different plants.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

Thank You Tamsin!

For years now, I have been looking for a way to replace imported CAD (dwg or dxf) plants symbols with my own plant symbols.

Your step two would be my intuitive and best practice way to change them.  However, this has never ever worked.  So frustrating.  I have been using VW since 2008, I would have never thought to look in the Modify Tab >Convert > Replace with Symbol to do this function.  Genius.!!!!!!!!!

Here is my complete workflow:  in the imported file each plant symbol is unique ie Agave_Am1, Agave_Am2 and so on.  In the Resourse Browser>"Current Working Open File" > DWG/DXF symbol folder > highlight all similar symbols except the first one (Agave_Am2  thru Agave_Am16) > Delete >Replace Symbols with... > Choose   Agave_Am1 > All >Click OK.  Now using the Select Similar Tool, Highlight one of the Agave_Am1 since now all 16 have the same name (be sure in the SST preference pain, the symbol name is checked) once all are highlighted Modify> Convert> Replace with Symbol> choose my Agave Plant Symbol and voila!!!!  All are replaced.   It's a long process, But I think it is faster than redrawing all the plants over again.