Document Window Filled

Paul Suhler

Question

After not having used VectorWorks for twelve years or so, last night I created a new document with multiple layers, drew objects, saved it multiple times as I worked. So far so good.

Now most of the time when I open that document or create a new empty one, the entire window is filled with a repeating pattern, which even appears inside the rulers. Sometimes the pattern is a square array of tiny dots (perhaps a single pixel), sometimes one with lines. This can make it impossible to discern objects in the window. The pattern can change from one time I open the document to the next.

Since this appears with even a blank document and the pattern appears even inside the rulers, I'm inclined to suspect corruption of the application itself.

Suggestions? System info below:

VectorWorks 9.5.3

MacOS 10.5.8

iMac 1 GHz PowerPC G4

Thanks,

Paul

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the quick responses!

Yeah, every couple of years I open the iMac up and vacuum it out. And I'd upgraded the PATA disk to 500 GB some time back. So it's maxed out.

As far as VectorWorks, I appear to be out of luck. All of the installers and updaters I can find require Mac OS 9, which is no doubt what I was running back in 2002 or whenever. 10.5 doesn't know what to do with a .bin file, which is on the updater disks and also on the 9.5.3 page that rDesign cited above.

I assume that the installers also installed a Mac OS X compatible version, which is what runs now. But there's no Mac OS X installer to be found.

Any experience with the monthly subscription model for VectorWorks 2020? I don't use it often, so is it a problem to let it lapse and then restart periodically?

Finally, for my current project I don't need anything nearly as sophisticated as VectorWorks. Can anyone recommend a less expensive program that will let me draw walls with doors and windows, add a roof, and print out plan views and elevations?

There is no monthly subscription for VW.  You buy it, you own it.  There is an annual subscription to keep getting new versions, but it's pretty reasonable if you remember what the upgrade pricing used to be.

You can get the current version as a fully capable demo to use free for a month.  It might be fun to check out what has happened in the last 18 years.