Wall issues with split tool

Dubman

Question

I have never seen this when having a wall with 2 door symbols in it. I'm using the Split Tool to cut the wall into 2 sections, each with a door in it so I can move one wall further into the room. But every time I try to cut the wall in two it moves the symbols in the wall & is doing weird stuff. I've always been able to trim a wall in between symbols & at the ends wit hthe Split Tool or with a line crossing over it & using the Trim tool with no movement of the symbols in the wall.

Anyone else having this happen?

Would it be a setting somewhere I've changed by mistake?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Now the only way I can do this correctly is to re-drawl both walls & re-insert the symbols into the same location. CRAZY!

Update - It is good to know others are having same issue with the symbols in walls when splitting the wall. I've been trying everything I know & trying to find a work around. I have done a complete un-install of everything VW & Nemetschek from my computer, even from the registry. Then a new install, after setting everything back to the way I like & trying the split the wall with symbols in it, the same thing happens, it splits the wall but moves all symbols in it. I have now tried this with my wall style & my 2d door symbol & does not work correctly. Then tried with a VW wall style & my 2d door symbol and it does not work correctly. Then with a VW wall style & a VW 2d/3d point plug in object & it worked. It also works with my wall style & VW 2d/3d point plug in object. This sucks because all I am doing is 2d drafting work & the 2d/3d point plug in object is larger in file size which will make the file size larger which leads to problems with the file. All I need are 2d symbols for the doors & windows & do not see any in the Resource pallet. I even tried to make a 2d door symbol from the VW plug in door & it does not work right when splitting the wall. 

Attached is a blank document file with my wall style, my 2d door symbol, & a VW plug in 2d/3d door symbol for anybody else to see if they get the same results or can tell me what the difference is between my 2d symbol & the 2d/3d plug in symbol.

Thanks for any suggestions to resolve this or a good work around. Thanks!

wall issue.jpg

VW wall test file.vwx

Edited by Dubman
Update

10 answers to this question

I had something similar happen to me yesterday with Vw2020 SP4 on MacOS 10.13.6.

I only had one custom 2D/3D hybrid symbol in the wall, but it moved it by 4 feet when I split the wall in two (the split was not directly adjacent to where the symbol was). I just dragged the symbol out of the wall and back to it’s correct location.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 2

On a related note (I think), I haven't been able to get the Split Tool in the Point mode to even work on walls with VW2021. Split by Line does work on walls. Split by Point does work on line objects. I'm working on files that were migrated from VW2020 - where the tool worked just fine. 

Is there some wall-related setting that needs to be adjusted?

Thanks.

Update: the split point tool seems to be working normally today! I also tried splitting a wall with openings in it and they were unaffected! (I'm not aware of any updates being installed...?)

Thanks!

On a related note (I think), I haven't been able to get the Split Tool in the Point mode to even work on walls with VW2021. Split by Line does work on walls. Split by Point does work on line objects. I'm working on files that were migrated from VW2020 - where the tool worked just fine. 

Is there some wall-related setting that needs to be adjusted?

Thanks.

Edited by samb'ham