Vectorworks 2020 Crashing when Converting Older File

Stephan S.

Question

Hello, I am experiencing an issue where Vectorworks 2020 constantly crashes (i.e. "Quits Unexpectedly") when I go to open one particular file that was created by my co-worker in Vectorworks 2017.  I am able to open and convert the file in Vectorworks 2019 with no problem, however, for use of the file in the future by my other co-workers and I it would be beneficial if I can get a copy of this file working in Vectorworks 2020.  The file largely consists of 2D elements and plug-in objects for lighting instruments.

When opening this file in Vectorworks 2020, it will begin the conversion process, but will consistently crash on "Step 4 of 11 (Updating Plugin Objects...)" during the "Creating Auto Hybrid" process.

I have searched this problem on this form and found people having similar issues, but none of the suggestions I have tried has resolved the issue for me.  What I have attempted:

• Setting Navigation Graphics to Best Compatibility in display preferences
  • Updating the Vectorworks 2017 source file to Vectorworks 2019 and then trying to open that one in Vectorworks 2020
  • Back-Exporting the new Vectorworks 2019 file to a Vectorworks 2018 file and trying to open that on in Vectorworks 2020 (since I read that Vectorworks is having some difficulty with files going from 2019 to 2020 specifically)
  • Purging most unused resources, including but not limited to gradients, line types, symbols, and text styles, in the Vectorworks 2019 file and then trying to open it in Vectorworks 2020.  (I would have done this in the source 2017 file, but I only have Vectorworks 2016, 2019, and 2020 on my computer and am not keen on downloading 2017 or 2018 at this time)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  I will list my at-home computer specs below (I am currently teleworking), but this issue also presented itself to my co-worker who has a different computer, whose specs I am not privy to at this time.  Therefore, I am fairly confident that this is a software, not a hardware, issue.

• MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.6
  • Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
  • Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Stephan S.
Added Tags

4 answers to this question