Trouble exporting to PDF, DWG or IFC

Matt Hagen

Question

Im trying to export to the above formats PDF takes literally FOREVER. I have to leave it over night. The Export to DWG, even sheet by sheet works on some sheets but seems to hang at 9% on Sheet A009. Exporting to IFC wont export the slab levels or windoor elements. It doesn't seem like a complicated file

Am I missing something here?

MATT HAGEN

Vectorworks 2020 SP 3.1

Windows 10 Pro

Dell Precision Tower 36020, Intel i7, 32G RAM

1050 Village Green.vwx

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

image.png

Hi @Matt Hagen,

I've reviewed your file and here are my comments, specifically about IFC (I can talk only about IFC):

- You used a lot of extrudes in your model and you can't see them in IFC model, which is normal. IFC works with objects and each object consists of designation/type (defining the purpose of the object - like is this a wall/column/slab/roof/furniture/beam/etc.), data, relationships with other objects (like positioned in a building story, space, contained or part of another object, etc.) and geometry representation. So, an extrude might be the geometric representation of a wall, covering, column, footing, ... and this is why the user has to define what kind of object represents the extrude in question - this can be done by directly attaching IFC Data or using Data Manager class-based mapping. If you use Vectorworks plug-in objects - you don't have to do anything - they have the proper IFC designation and settings already defined.

- You exported IFC4 file - at this moment, only Vectorworks and ArchiCAD have certified IFC4 export (IFC4 import certification not yet started). Even some applications claim to support IFC4 - you shouldn't trust claims. So, please use IFC 2x3;

Regards,

Mihail Rizov

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mihail Rizov said:

- You exported IFC4 file - at this moment, only Vectorworks and ArchiCAD have certified IFC4 export (IFC4 import certification not yet started). Even some applications claim to support IFC4 - you shouldn't trust claims. So, please use IFC 2x3;

OK .....

Didn't know this.

As VW offers IFC4.0 since many years and as my other CAD has also IFC4.0

I switched to 4.0

Although there are issues with IFC4.0,

like Stairs missing, relocated Door PIOs and such,

the overall export looked better than 2x3 for me so far.

But if even VW's official recommendation is to better not use IFC4.0

or that it is still in kind of a Beta state,

I will better forget about 4.0 for now.

Maybe that should have been promoted earlier and more prominent.

Edited by zoomer

Hi @Matt Hagen,

We are looking into this issue - temporarily, you can attach IfcSlab to them and set PredefinedType field to one of LANDING (if it is a part of a ramp/stair), ROOF (you know when), otherwise BASE or FLOOR (both are actually a floor, but BASE is a load-bearing element and as such is part of the building structural model).

I'll notify you with our findings, when ready.

Regards,
Mihail Rizov

• Like 1

Thank you for the report, @Matt Hagen

This delay appears to be due to the export of a worksheet data object with lots of elements, which for some reason is not visible in the drawing. We will work to optimize the process of export. Until you have the fix, you might create a copy of the document, remove the WinDoor/VWI-Door/Window Schedule-All Layers worksheet from the Resource Manager, which is anyway not visible on the drawing (see attached image) and export to DWG.

image.png

Thanks,

Nina