Workflow for Orthographic Projections

Hi-

Long time 2D drafter using some of my free time to dip my toes in the 3D world. I've modeled a simple wooden desk lamp in Vectorworks and I'm pretty happy with how that went. Now it is time to make the construction drawings and I want to see what the best practice is before I get some bad habits. My lamp is made up of two parts 4X Uprights and 8X Cross Pieces. I'd like to have a sheet for the Upright and a sheet for the Cross Piece. Each piece would need a top, front and right side view. 

My current solution is to put a copy of each piece on it's own layer and move the viewport crop around as I change the view. Am I missing an easier approach? I'd love to be able to click on the part in the design layer and have a command give me an orthographic projection of it on a sheet layer I can than annotate with dimensions.

Any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Mike Rock said:

My current solution is to put a copy of each piece on it's own layer

I suggest using classes instead of layers.

20 minutes ago, Mike Rock said:

I'd love to be able to click on the part in the design layer and have a command give me an orthographic projection of it on a sheet layer I can than annotate with dimensions.

I think with a top/plan Viewport In the oip you can switch to orthographic front, side etc projections.