Data tags with the eventual goal of window and door schedules

Hello all, 

I wondering how to use data tags properly.  Right now when i tag doors, they will always tag as D-01.  for the most part I am only using standard doors and the customizing is limited to width, height and opening in left, out ect.  I would like to start creating quick door and window schedules with these data points but when i tag any door or any window, the tag is always 01.  I have manually used the sequential numbering tag to produce drawings with tags so far but it's really labor intensive and i know theres a much better way to do this.  

I'm sure I've skipped some step in the learning process along the way, and it seems like the videos i have found have not explained how to do this correctly.  other than Im onto the IFC data for the first time.  but again the IFC data is giving everything a label of 01 over and over again 

thanks in advance  

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Patrick Davis, Welcome to the Forum and to Vectorworks,

In terms of door numbers only, in the OIP (Object Info Palette) when you have a door selected, there will be a field for the door’s number.

image.png

By default each regular door will start at 01 in order to allow the user to control the door’s number. Because there is no strict order/process when designing a building, if doors auto-sequenced their numbers when being inserted in a plan, the user would have quite a mess of door numbers to deal with when it came time to a door schedule. And this is ok because...

In terms of doors and data tags, you may use one of the pre-made Data Tags that has "(incr)" in the name and those will increment the door numbers as you tag doors.

image.png

Also note that the Data Tag tool has a few modes that you will want to practice with to see how they work. Modes will let you tag one eligible object at a time to tagging ALL the eligible objects at once. Information on those modes, and more about Data Tags, can be found in the built-in Help system on this page.

image.png

I hope this information helps.

Now, since you mentioned that you may have skipped some steps in learning Vectorworks, I highly recommend making the time to build a good, solid foundation (excuse the pun) of knowledge before diving in too deep. I know how exciting it can be to fire up the application and start drawing and modelling, but skipping the basics can result in hitting hurdles when you really want to be cruising along. In contrast, taking the time to learn all the relevant basics will pay off on every project you do, forever. I recommend doing the Core Concepts and Intermediate Concepts courses (normally available for free to Service Select members but available for free until the end of the year here). In addition, if you find that you need one-on-one training to supplement your learning, please do get in touch with us at Vectorworks Canada – We can help.

Have a great weekend!

-Neil

• Like 2