Broken Drawing Label Tool (VW 2019)

Devin Kinney

Question

I recently used the plug-in manager to set the default insertion class for drawing labels and now the drawing label tool appears broken.  I can't edit any drawing labels without them disappearing (error: "object creation failed due to invalid parameter(s); please use different parameter(s)") and when trying to insert a new drawing label, VW just switches to the selection / pointer tool.  The simple drawing label tool still appears to function fine.  

Has anyone experienced something similar or have any suggestions to try?   I've tried switching workspaces and removing / re-adding the Drawing Label tool but neither made a difference - starting to think a complete reinstall may be in my future...

vw2019 SP6 Architect, MBP 2019 2.4 Ghz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, macos 10.15 catalina

5 answers to this question

Are you adding the Drawing Labels in Viewport Annotations? Is the default class that you chose Visible in the viewport you're working in?

If not, the Drawing Label will be inserted but immediately become invisible since that class is turned off.

If this is indeed the issue, a quick way to fix universally is to find your Drawing Label class in the Nav Palette, right click, and choose Visibilities. Them hold Alt/Opt and click on the Visible column to turn it on in all Viewports.

Thanks for the suggestion Andy.  Sadly it's not a simple fix like that.  I've been using VW since it was MiniCAD in the mid 2000's and I've never seen a tool broken like this.  I never really played around in the Plug-in manager until this year though so I probably messed with something I shouldn't have... 🙂