Wall issues with split tool

Dubman

I have never seen this when having a wall with 2 door symbols in it. I'm using the Split Tool to cut the wall into 2 sections, each with a door in it so I can move one wall further into the room. But every time I try to cut the wall in two it moves the symbols in the wall & is doing weird stuff. I've always been able to trim a wall in between symbols & at the ends wit hthe Split Tool or with a line crossing over it & using the Trim tool with no movement of the symbols in the wall.

Anyone else having this happen?

Would it be a setting somewhere I've changed by mistake?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Now the only way I can do this correctly is to re-drawl both walls & re-insert the symbols into the same location. CRAZY!

Wall images.jpg

• Confused 1

Sorry to confuse. To clarify, in the first image, the wall in the center with 2 door symbols, when I use the split tool to split the wall in the center into two sections each with one door in it. When I did this it moved one door symbol to the far right end of the wall, the door to the left disappeared & the wall did not split in two, but the line of the wall angled towards the drawing origin. You can see the results in the second image. Hope this is  a better clarification. I had to completely redraw the walls & re add the doors to get wht I was trying to do.

Here is another example of the issue. Now I can split the wall into two walls as lone as there are no symbols inserted in them. But when the symbols are inserted into the wall & then using the Split Tool in the Split Line Mode & trying to split the wall at the red line, as shown in first image, the second image shows the results, it moves the door symbol. I did this one in a clean new default file. So once you insert symbols into the walls you can not use the Split Tool to break the wall into separate walls with out rearranging the symbols.

WOW, I just tried the Split Tool in the Point Split Mode & it locked up VW & then VW crashed. Something not right!

Wall Split tool problems.jpg

Edited by Dubman
Updated

Yes something is definitely wrong, but it appears to be with your installation. I just did exactly what you did, but on Mac 2020SP4. I got the results that you said you expected. The wall split and the doors stayed in their location in their respective new wall.

This was in a new blank file at 1/4" scale. It worked using both the split by point and split by line modes.

Have you tried again since you restarted VW? Have you restarted the computer?

The next step in troubleshooting would be to quit VW. Move or Rename you User Folder so that a new one is created. It would not be a bad idea to turn off any Workgroup folders also. Restart VW and test in a new blank file.

If you were on Mac I would recommend creating a new User and testing VW there. I don't know enough about Win to know if that is a reasonable suggestion or not.

If a new User Folder does not solve the problem, you will probably have to uninstall VW and resinstall.

HTH

Thanks!!! I have shut down & moved the computer to my office today, & same thing happens when I split a wall with symbols in it, even in a new blank file. I will try the user folder rename & see if that is it & then try re-installing VW. Of course it does this right as I start work, had many months of down time & practiced lots of 3d work with no problems.

Update - after renaming the user folder, rebooting, and starting VW, when using my wall type & VW door symbol it splits fine, no problem. But if I insert my 2d symbol, so far any of them, it does the same thing. So it must have something to do with my 2d symbols that I have been using for years with no problems. So either just deal with it or remake all of my 2d symbols.

After making a 2d door symbol from a 2d/3d VW door symbol and inserting it into a wall I'm getting the same strange results. So I guess the next thing I'll try is to re-install VW.

Edited by Dubman
Updated

Dubman:

Before you go reinstalling, try changing workspaces. I had a similar weird behavior that had everything to do with have dragged my workspace along for a few versions. I was told to do a reinstall by tech support which did nothing but after sucking it up and rebuilding a new workspace, (as well as testing in a factory set workspace) the problem went away. Not sure if it will help in your case, but worth a shot?

-J

Thanks jnr, this is something else to try. Since I just got done uninstalling every instance of VW in my computer, even everything in the Registry, & a complete new install, the same thing happens which really sucks. On Friday I was editing a long wall in a movie set that connected many rooms in a hospital set. It was determined we did not need to build some of the wall between some rooms. To edit this wall I had to mark where each door & window symbol was, pull them out of the wall, split the wall to the sections I needed, then re-insert the door & window symbols. Funny when you drag the door symbol back over the wall to insert it, VW flips the orientation of the door so you have to edit it again.

So I just tried changing the work space from Architect, which I always use to Architect BIM and the same thing happens, What gives? Only in version 2020 has this happened to me.

jnr, which workspace did you switch to that corrected this issue?

Thanks