Please improve editing duplicated class names in the OIP

Bruce Kieffer

Question

It's great that we can edit class names directly in the OIP in 2020, but this falls apart if I duplicate a class that is already in a hierarchal structure. This screen shot shows what happens when I need to add another screw class titled Screws-Casters. I duplicated the Screws-Back class, but doing that then creates another nested class named Screws-Back-2 and I cannot edit that in the OIP to get what I need which is Screw-Casters. The easy fix should be to show all of the class name when editing a class name in the OIP.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 11.13.57 AM.png

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

It's also unhelpful when it tries to be too clever - I duplicate something like walls-500 and it creates walls-501 (I'm much more likely to actually want it to be walls-1000 or walls-300 or suchlike).

I'd prefer it to append something like _duplicate.

As per the other thread, ideally we'd simply be asked what we want to call it at the time.

• Like 4
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 8/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, Bruce Kieffer said:

It's great that we can edit class names directly in the OIP in 2020, but this falls apart if I duplicate a class that is already in a hierarchal structure. This screen shot shows what happens when I need to add another screw class titled Screws-Casters. I duplicated the Screws-Back class, but doing that then creates another nested class named Screws-Back-2 and I cannot edit that in the OIP to get what I need which is Screw-Casters. The easy fix should be to show all of the class name when editing a class name in the OIP.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 11.13.57 AM.png

@Bruce Kieffer ,  Yup.  This drove me nuts too.

Here's what happens in Vectorworks 2021:

image.png

🙂 

• Like 4

At least that is an improvement, as it prevents the automatic creation of unwanted sub-subclasses 🙂

When will we be able to rename the parent part of a hierarchical class structure directly in the navigation palette instead of having to use the class and layer mapping find and replace? (Which by itself is a very welcome improvement over how it has been until recently)

E.g. rename Test-part 1, -part2, -part3 by just changing the word Test into something else in the navigation palette?

Or e.g. rename -Test-option1-part1 etc. into Test-Option2-part1 etc by just changing the middle part in the navigation palette and then the subclasses to that part would all be automatically renamed instantaneously. This would be a bit easier than having to use multiple find and replace sessions when renaming multiple parent or subparent classes.

• Like 1

It is a huge improvement, but as Art says, it does not go far enough. All that's needed is for the rest of the class name to appear when editing the name in the OIP. I found a workaround that is better than nothing. Turn off the Navigation Pallet hierarchical display for Classes, then you can edit the full name. This is only slightly better than using the edit class command.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 9.25.22 AM.png

Another thing I just noticed... one can create a new sub-subclass when right clicking on the sub-class and select new. But this only works if there is already at least one sub-subclass.

It does not work when right clicking on a sub-class and select new. It would be nice if sub-subclasses could be generated that way, e.g. by an option of same class level or create new subclass to current level.

Going to make a wish list item for this.

• Like 1