AutoCAD Text Field equivalent in Vectorworks

Kohli

Question

I have a few hundred polylines. I would like to indicate the total length of each line next to it.

I imagine there should be an option to insert text field with length of the polyline similiar to AutoCAD but really struggling to find it.

Ideally, I wan to create a unique name for each polyline in the text field with the total length, and export both the polyline name and total length in worksheet.

Could anyone please suggest the best way to proceed?

Thanks

Kohli

Edited by Kohli

9 answers to this question

Getting the data in a worksheet is relatively easy. Create a database with a criteria that will only return the objects you want. A column formula of =N will display the name you give the poly at the bottom of the shape pane of the OIP. =Perim will display the length of the poly.

To get the data displayed on the drawing, take a look at the Data Tag tool.

• Like 1

@markdd Thanks for sharing the file! I need to learn how to make custom data tags asap and I will take your file for reference. Great help!

@Pat Stanford Thanks for your response! I figured out how to export polyline data to worksheet but I'm struggling to give unique names to each polyline. Could you please give a little more info/screenshots on that?

At the bottom of the Object Info Palette (OIP) there is a field called Name:  Anything you type in there will be considered the name for that object. The nice thing about the Name field is that it must be unique. So if you name the first object Poly and then duplicate the object, a number will automatically be added and the new one will be called Poly-2. Then next Poly-3, etc.

If you create the =N column in a worksheet then the data from the Name field of each object will be displayed. If you edit the name (or enter a name for one with no Name data) in the worksheet, the data in the Name field will be automatically updated.

image.thumb.png.d2916e0085d92ce85158a8e9506d4d47.png

• Like 1