Completely re-vamp keyboard shortcuts

SamIWas

Question

I made this request many years ago, but I'll try again.  

There are now so many menu items and so many tools, that the basic keyboard shortcuts aren't cutting it.  There are only so many combinations of keys and ways you can contort your hands to run shortcuts.  And most of the possible shortcuts are already taken.  And with the rise in automated things like streamdeck and programmable mice, being able to further expand shortcuts would be very handy.  This also benefits people like myself who build large custom workspaces with custom tools and scripts.

I again propose a system like Cinema 4Ds.  In addition to Command-X (or Control-X), or Command-Option-Shift-X,  allow hierarchical double-key shortcuts.  For instance, to grab the mirror tool in Cinema 4D, you press M then H (M for a mesh list, and H for mirror).  This increases the available shortcuts by multiple times and allows easy programmability for other devices.  

The current shortcut system is limited to just over 200 shortcuts.  That's a lot, and it does cover the most-used tools.  But those, combined with double-key shortcuts could easily allow for well over 1000.  

Obviously, this would probably kill some current shortcuts, and would require a change in muscle memory, but there would be a lot of gain on the other side.

Edited by SamIWas
  • Like 1

5 answers to this question

Yep, I think part of the bad impression Vectorworks gives to staff cross training is the number of common commands that need 3+ finger key combo's to use.

Plus we have workspaces so it's not there couldn't be a legacy workspace or just import users previous version at upgrade time.

Merge like commands, strip legacy tools of keys have a best in show workspace.

Hi @SamIWas

I can see how valuable such an enhancement would be for you and fellow power users, but based on my experience providing technical support for Vectorworks users, I suspect it would go largely under-utilised - much like the current implementation. There is another way, that can simultaneously broaden the number of shortcuts possible and coax more efficient use of the interface by more users. Maybe revisit your proposition after the release of 2021 😉

• Like 1
On 8/14/2020 at 12:16 AM, Jeremy Best said:

Hi @SamIWas

I can see how valuable such an enhancement would be for you and fellow power users, but based on my experience providing technical support for Vectorworks users, I suspect it would go largely under-utilised - much like the current implementation. There is another way, that can simultaneously broaden the number of shortcuts possible and coax more efficient use of the interface by more users. Maybe revisit your proposition after the release of 2021 😉

If 2021 has some new way of handling shortcuts, I'll be all for it.  If they also fix the script-limit issue which has been around for 8-9 years now, that'll be enough for me!

Adding a second letter keying input would be so helpful.

I'm in Landmark and having to go through the menu dropdown process to get to 'align leader lines' is close to infuriating.

Keying 'AL' or something like that (so I didn't have to over write existing shortcuts)  would be wonderful.

As a recent convert to VW - moving over from Autodesk (autoCAD and Maya)- the awkward keying layout and almost contra-mnemonics (I do miss 'rec' for rectangle  and 'pl' for polyline) of the key choices is... disconcerting. 

As for Jeremy's comment that more shortcut possibilities would go under-utilized - I kind of feel that a professional program should focus on the professionals first - but then again I spent 20 years with Maya and probably don't understand 1/10 of the possibilities in that mess of a program!

I've used all manner of keyboard shortcut schemes but had never seen one like Revit's. Two characters always. No holding down control or shift. You never need to do some convoluted finger manipulation. You have many possibilities. This is the best (in my opinion).

With VW 2021 and the palette display via the mouse and using a Streamdeck for less used commands (which may require shift or control keys) I think I have a pretty quick and adaptable system. Still prefer Revit's system though.

• Like 2