Jan B.

NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 - Problems with Graphics Card

Question

We have installed a Test Version of Vectorworks on one of our laptops (see details below). The Laptop has a Quadro RTX 4000 graphics card and i have assigned "High-performance Nvidia processor" as the preferred GPU for Vectorworks in the Nvidia Control Panel.

But when launching Vectorworks, we get 2 error popups seen below. Roughly translated they say that there is an issue with the graphics card/The graphics card is wrongly configured or does not match the minimum system requirements.

Is there something i am missing in the configuration?

Here are some details for our Hardware and Software:

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad P53

Graphics Card: Quadro RTX 4000

Graphics Driver Version: 443.17

Windows Version: Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-Bit

Vectorworks Version: 2020 SP4A (Build 550627) (64-Bit)

I have also created some Screenshots of our settings and error messages:

8y0blIq.png

MvKoRn1.png

L4i4768.png

5 answers to this question

Hi @Jan B., here's a few possibilities that come to mind, in order of likely applicability: 

• Perhaps it is Vectorworks 2019 that is selected in the NVIDIA Control Panel settings? (The screenshot doesn't show the full name of the program selected). 
  • Did you click the 'Apply' button after assigning Vectorworks to the dedicated graphics card and before closing the NVIDIA Control Panel settings window? 
  • Try restarting the computer. 
  • Windows / operating system settings may be such that the new dedicated card is not enabled / being employed despite the NVIDIA Control Panel settings. 
  • The latest driver for that card (from NVIDIA, which may differ from the latest one offered by Lenovo), is 451.77. Although I doubt it will help in this case, it's worth updating to this driver if all the above don't resolve this matter. 
  • Like 1

Hi I have the same issue and when using Vectorworks 2019 I never had a problem.  Do I really need to buy a dedicated graphics card?  How will it change my experience and drawings?

On 9/1/2020 at 5:22 AM, NLGD said:

I have the same issue and when using Vectorworks 2019 I never had a problem.  Do I really need to buy a dedicated graphics card?  How will it change my experience and drawings?

Vectorworks 2020 is the first to include an ability to detect if you have a dedicated card and whether it has been assigned for use with Vectorworks. This is why you didn't get this message in Vectorworks 2019. 

Do you need a dedicated graphics card? It is strongly recommended by Vectorworks in their system requirements page, but it's really a matter of how much time you'll save and how much a 'smoother' interactive experience with Vectorworks will improve your efficiency, your work experience, and ultimately your work quality. Here's why: In Vectorworks, the graphics card handles what you see on screen while you work as well as the quality, detail and speed that your model is displayed while moving around your model/drawing. The better the card, the faster and smoother your model is displayed during and after navigating. Better cards may also improve the stability of Vectorworks because low-end graphics cards rely on your computer's main memory (RAM) which when under a lot of pressure can cause instability/crashes. 

If you've never worked on a well-spec'd computer before, once you do you'll know about it. It's liberating and going back to anything less conveys just how many seconds are lost a minute and how stilted - if not frustrating - working on low-spec computers can be. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 7:22 PM, NLGD said:

Hi I have the same issue and when using Vectorworks 2019 I never had a problem.  Do I really need to buy a dedicated graphics card?  How will it change my experience and drawings?

I have fixed it by installing the latest graphics drivers for my dedicated graphics card. Also i enabled full access to the Vectorworks folder for the Windows 10 user profile.

• Like 2

Thank you!  One day it asked me if I wanted to update my graphics card and now the issue seems to have gone away.  Nothing like putting things off 'til they right themselves!!