How to edit the plant symbol attached to plant data?

Tess

Question

Hi all 🙂  Is there a way to change the plant symbol once you have all the data entered for a plant? I have a few that look too similar but can't seem to find a way to just change out the symbol for a different selection without just deleting it and creating a whole new plant (have attached screen shot in case it's not clear what I'm referring to). Thanks in advance for your help! 

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 6.43.22 pm.png

5 answers to this question

Thanks so much  for your reply Mike - and for the correct terminology! Yes, it is the same plant resource I'm working with, so I don't want to replace it with a different one. I'd like to simply swap the 2D symbol only of said plant resource for a different, pre-existing symbol from the resource manager. I took a look at the edit 2D component but that looks like I need to essentially make my own symbol, which I'd rather not do for time saving reasons (and there are plenty of symbols to choose from already so it feels like unnecessary work on a deadline). Does that make sense?

For context, if it helps: I have numerous existing plant resources in a previous VW file that I wanted to use in a new file so I didn't have to create each plant resource (and enter all the data) all over again, but the symbols are too similar to plant resources I've created in my new file already. 

I appreciate your help! 

Hi @Tess, 

As I understand your situation, I believe simply using the 'Copy from Symbol…' button in the Edit Plant Style dialog is what you need to use. In there, you can choose to replace the 2D symbol for the plant with that of another Plant Style. See images below. 

Either right-click on the Plant Style resource in the Resource Manager, or select the plant in the drawing, then click 'Edit Plant Style…' in the Object Info Palette to open the following dialog. Then in the Visualization options, in the 'Graphics' section, under 'Top/Plan Graphics,' click 'Copy from Symbol…,' then choose the plant symbol from which you wish to copy the geometry.

If the plant you want to copy from is not yet in this document, browse for that file/resource in the Resource Selector (menu) in the 'Copy From Symbol 2D' dialog, just as you would in the Resource Manager. See second picture. …then use the 'Edit Current Graphics' button and paste in the new geometry. 

image.thumb.png.e66660eb0a1a0b062b24b2dc81941628.png

image.thumb.png.36a888de2fb6bed1933763eafb88edef.png

• Like 1