Stair Question

Jim Smith

Question

I know better, I almost ALWAYS model a stair but dopey ol' me thought it was a simple little project I'll just use it just this once. 

Having said that, I was wondering why a stair didn't fit & I found something I never knew, the stair tool seems to create a stair with the stair not including the kick under the nosing. So a Tread one is anticipating being 260 [10 1/4"] is actually 285 [11 1/4"].

So if the boffins at VW ever gets around to giving us a REAL stair tool that actually WORKS, perhaps they could use a copy of my Drafting Text Book from 1983 (copyright 1967)

5 answers to this question

Perhaps I am missing something in your question.  For code purposes In the US at least,  tread depth is measured from outside edge of the tread to the right angle projection of the adjacent nosing.  It does not include the dimension underneath the nosing overhang.  This is how I think the stair tool is set up and how it should be.  

If in other locations, tread depth is calculated differently, perhaps there should be a dialogue box to, “Include nosing overhang in tread depth” which would recalculate the stair and create an “Overall tread depth” or something like that.

That may be the root of the issue, the Ontario Building Code includes the entire surface of the Tread, from nosing to the 25mm under the nosing overhang of the next stair above. As I say, I don't use this tool for 99% of projects and if I do in future I hope to remember this. What you in the USA refer to as the tread depth is referred to  in my old text book is referred to as the "Going"

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

What you in the USA refer to as the tread depth is referred to  in my old text book is referred to as the "Going"

In New Zealand the “tread” depth is the distance from the front edge of the tread to where it hits the riser. The “going” is the horiz distance from front edge of tread to front edge of the next tread. (I.e. tread minus nosing).

I only recent realised vw treads are different from NZ treads....

20 hours ago, Boh said:

In New Zealand the “tread” depth is the distance from the front edge of the tread to where it hits the riser. The “going” is the horiz distance from front edge of tread to front edge of the next tread. (I.e. tread minus nosing).

I only recent realised vw treads are different from NZ treads....

So I wonder if this this a British vs American Empire thing. As you're in NZ & I'm in the Great White North & I suspect we share legacy "standards" from ol' Blighty more than I share some "standards" with my brother south of the 49th does with me. 

Edited by Jim Smith