creating a manual bay window seat

Hi John. Here's how I would do it: As always, I try to be as anatomically correct as possible. So I would start with the wall into which the bay window cuts where I would insert a CASED OPENING (using the WINDOW PIO probably with no jamb or trim) at the location of the bay. Then I would create three walls to represent the bay. I would lift them off the floor by changing their "bottom z", and then make them shorter as appropriate. I would then insert the bay windows into these new "bay walls". I would create the seat as a polygon (or rectangle?) in plan view, then use the FLOOR command to give it accurate thickness and height. That should give you a good start. Let us know if other wuestions arise :-)

Thanks Peter, I'll try that out. The return under the window (below the seat) is on an angle that matches the copper roof above...I'll see what I can do before I come crawling back to the wise people here. [Wink]

Now, the other problem currently straining my brain is simply printing what I've got drawn! I tried creating a viewport, but when I try to print it, all I see is a red box with an 'x' from corner to corner. I have selected the saved view, set the layers I want to be visible, but it still doesn't work.

Perhaps I should have prefaced this by saying that I started this file by workgroup referencing the survey file, and then drawing the house on top of that...for some reason, I'm not aligning my viewport w/ my drawing... [Mad]

And you still see the big red box? Hmmm. Here's what I would do. Go back to the original design layer and create a new VP. Place it on a new sheet layer.

Remember that VP's are only a sort of "snap-shot" of objects that actually exist in the design layer. Although the VP itself is an object, it has two very special qualities: 1) It is only a sort of "bounding box" which references data from design layer(s), and 2) It can only exist on a sheet layer.

Does that help?

I am trying to initiate my use of VW 12 by drawing the existing conditions at my home first...then move on to the addition part.

One (among many challenges) problem I am facing is how to create a framed bay window which is a seat, not to the floor? The window has a 5'x5' center glass section, two casements at 20" x 5' and an offset of 30" from inside face of wall. The interior opening is 107" wide and 68.5" high.

If I draw walls there, it will appear incorrectly on an elevation view...maybe that would be as close as I could get?

Thanks in advance.

John

Thanks, I managed to get one to work...after moving the 'window' over the image of the floor plan. But I think this has something to do w/ the way I started the file initially...I tried a different view, say front, or isometric...and it didn't appear in that viewport...I had to zoom to objects to find it.

I obviously have alot to learn...when I did a front view, you could see that my stake points were well above my building (the stake points elev are 100' +/-, and the model ff is 0) Should I have used the survey data for the main floor elevation and input this in the model? or will it automatically incorporate that information from the survey points?