ScottLebsack

Smooth Complex linetypes

Question

Is there a way to make smooth continuous complex linetypes. I can approximate some level of smoothness using very small line segments, but it they still get jaggy around corners? It seems like it should be possible? Am I making it too difficult?

6 answers to this question

I think he's referring to any sort of object that's using a "Complex" linetype (defined by geometry rather than dashes). Unfortunately complex linetypes can't actually bend themselves around curved polylines, at least not to my understanding. So in those cases Scott is correct that the only way to have it follow smooth curves is to break up straight lines into smaller segments.

One useful tip in this case when setting up your geometry is to take the straight line segment and use Modify > Drafting Aids > Line into Segments to quickly break up your line into even segments.

5478046_ScreenShot2020-08-07at10_49_54AM.thumb.png.2df51c12b7866c09627257f4b1ff615a.png

Here's my latest attempt this could be useful... if only!

I'm trying to make a working linetype for contour grading but still doesn't generate well. each small segment in this line is .12" long, still not well generated around a curve. even tried less than .01" segments with no luck.

image.thumb.png.6212b321a03f88dbca39735cac952f1a.png

Sorry, missed your comment, here's as smooth as I was able to make it... better, but still jaggy in places, part of the change was rounding all my vertexes... It seemed to smooth out most around .04" smaller didn't seem to make much difference.

Linetype, grading.vwx