Spell Checking tools

FBernardo

Question

17 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, rDesign said:

It works well enough for text blocks, but be aware that it doesn’t work on General Notes or Callout objects:

It is working for me in Callouts although presents an error always with the Font type Arial don't know why though.

@rDesign Do you know where i can change the dictionary or is tied up to the VW version i have ?

Edited by FBernardo

Oh you're right... It does work on Callouts! (I'm on a Mac too).

Not sure when or if that changed at some point, or likely it's my fault since I often uncheck the "Records" checkbox (to ignore all the weird endless data that often exists in record fields). I didn't realize that Callout text is considered to be part of the "Record" category. Good to know! 🙂

So really what would be nice is for Callouts to be spellchecked separately from Record Fields...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PeterYip said:

I kinda wish it would automatic spell check as we type

Here’s a more than 10-year-old wishlist requesting better text editing & formatting abilities, including on-the-fly spell check. Maybe someday it will be implemented in Vw...

Edited by rDesign
16 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Is there a way to save a dictionary from one version of VW to another ? I have to teach the spell check dozens of pretty common things with each new version including Canadian / British spelling. 

Above there is a link from @rDesign that teaches how to copy and add new dictionaries surely if you copy the dictionary from the previous version should work, although you also have the migration tool from vw that should migrate the spell checking dictionary! (never done it just think that the migration tool should work with that too) 

It looks like the user dictionary is stored within your User Folder > Plug-ins > Dictionaries. I use the Migration Manager to bring in all my User Folder content from version to version, but it appears that this UserDictionary.txt file doesn't get migrated.... 😕 

Edit: Posted at the same time as FBernardo. Thanks for pointing out the previous post about Dictionaries - good to know it's described in the Help files.

Edited by Andy Broomell

I see that I have the American English Dictionary in the Dictionary folder in the Plug-ins folder & a British English (redundant much?) in the Additional folder. So if I swap these two I assume that I'll loose any other changes I have made to my existing dictionary. 

Does this mean that I can take my amended American Dictionary & make a copy & move it to 2021when that's a thing?

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I see that I have the American English Dictionary in the Dictionary folder in the Plug-ins folder & a British English (redundant much?) in the Additional folder. So if I swap these two I assume that I'll loose any other changes I have made to my existing dictionary. 

The dictionary 'amendments' that you make are stored separately from the main language dictionary. The full language dictionaries you're referencing are in the Applications folder, while your customized words are stored in your User Folder. The spell-checker cross references both locations.

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Does this mean that I can take my amended American Dictionary & make a copy & move it to 2021when that's a thing?

The spirit of this is correct... you'd transfer over the UserDictionary.txt file from your old User Folder to your new User Folder (nothing to do with the AmericanEnglish.clx file).

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Sorry I don't see that to vote it up

I filed it on JIRA - the internal request tracking interface (not public). I actually referenced this thread directly since we're already in the Wishlist Forum, so I suppose you can just upvote this thread?

• Like 1