Attribute update through WG Reference 11.5.1

ionw

Short questions:

Is there a way to force class attributes through an existing Workgroup reference? Meaning the reference is already setup, and the classes and their current attributes already exist, I have changed the source file attributes and now I want to force them forward without manually breaking the link, deleting relevant classes and recreating the reference. If that is the solution I am going to have to not only do it 41 times, I am going to have to update an existing Viewport crop 41 times.

Well I did think of a workaround that will reduce some of the work, but if there is an affirmative answer to the above question it will save us a days work at least.

thanks in advance,

ion

I don't think I was clear enough:

I have a file with a civil import for a 41 house development.

I made another file that is my template sheet for the 41 individual lots. In this file, I have all of the lot specific notes and annotations as part of this file. I workgroup referenced the civil plan file into this template. This brought in layers, classes and class attributes from my civil import file.

We made the 41 individual files for each lot from this template file.

we ended up getting an updated base from the civil, I opened the file with the civil import in it, replaced the content with the new base. As part of this, I made some changes to the the attributes of the classes in this file...well actually fairly extensive changes to the attributes in this file.

While in all 41 individual files the line work changes to reflect the new information, it is using the old class attributes from when I first set up the template. What I am after is a way to push ALL aspects of the referenced information?content & attributes?to those 41 files.

Of course since I want my cake and eat it too, I want to be able to maintain the ability to have separate attribute settings between target and source. [smile] I just want to force the change through on occasion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ion,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

There is a new setting for workgroup references for VW 12, which I think will do exactly what you want. When you edit a reference, there is a new "Update Classes" checkbox. If you turn that on and update the reference, you should have all the class attributes updated.