Merge Circuit Name/Number into single field like Universe/DMX Address

SamIWas

Question

I think this has been requested before, but it was buried...

One of the best improvements in Spotlight was the Universe and DMX Address fields, and how they work together with Absolute Address (does anyone use that?) and the combined Universe/DMX Address Field, with a selectable divider (I use a period while some use a slash).  

I would love to see this same feature used for Circuit Name and Circuit Number.  These two fields are almost always used together, and having them separate makes label legends act extremely funky when rotating, with unpredictable results.  Combine them into a Circuit Name/Number field, with a "-" as the default divider, but changeable like the Universe/Address one.  

I solved this with my own custom field, but it's a manual process to enter the info and thus error-prone.

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

I agree this should be possible. Especially when you use multiple fields next to each other then the alignment in the legend becomes much better. 

There are two things you can do at this moment. 

use a data tag. In data tags there are dynamic text fields where you can combine mutliple fields into one. Which you can then center align for instance. 

also you could use a script to concatenate the desired fields into one. In the AutoplotVW Plug-ins there is a menu command called copy field to field which will do exactly what you want. 

but this will require you to run it each time you make updates  to your plot. 

what we really want is dynamic text fields in label legends! 

On 8/1/2020 at 2:21 AM, Sebastiaan said:

also you could use a script to concatenate the desired fields into one. In the AutoplotVW Plug-ins there is a menu command called copy field to field which will do exactly what you want.  but this will require you to run it each time you make updates  to your plot. 

This is what I do currently.  And it works, but is error prone if I forget to run the script.

use a data tag. In data tags there are dynamic text fields where you can combine mutliple fields into one. Which you can then center align for instance. 

This is something I need to look into.  Maybe that would;d be a decent short-term solution.

11 hours ago, SamIWas said:

This is what I do currently.  And it works, but is error prone if I forget to run the script.

This is something I need to look into.  Maybe that would;d be a decent short-term solution.

by the way. In Label legends I do place the circuit name and circuit number next to each other. It works fine the only downside is that you can not center the two fields as one. 

also did you know that in the label layout you can group all fields together? This wil make your label behave as one object. 

On 8/3/2020 at 4:02 AM, Sebastiaan said:

by the way. In Label legends I do place the circuit name and circuit number next to each other. It works fine the only downside is that you can not center the two fields as one. 

Yes...this is the issue.

also did you know that in the label layout you can group all fields together? This wil make your label behave as one object. 

Yep.  This is what I do often.  But, when you rotate, especially with "adjust flipped text" on, things get really funky.  Sometimes, the fields stay in order.  Sometimes they don't.  Sometimes, they flop to odd locations.  Sometimes, they don't.  The basic labels all work just fine, including the Universe/Address field.  I made my own custom field to deal with this issue, but then it sucks sending to other people.

Edited by SamIWas
On 8/1/2020 at 7:01 AM, SamIWas said:

I think this has been requested before, but it was buried...

One of the best improvements in Spotlight was the Universe and DMX Address fields, and how they work together with Absolute Address (does anyone use that?) and the combined Universe/DMX Address Field, with a selectable divider (I use a period while some use a slash).  

I would love to see this same feature used for Circuit Name and Circuit Number.  These two fields are almost always used together, and having them separate makes label legends act extremely funky when rotating, with unpredictable results.  Combine them into a Circuit Name/Number field, with a "-" as the default divider, but changeable like the Universe/Address one.  

I solved this with my own custom field, but it's a manual process to enter the info and thus error-prone.

That would be awesome!!! And it can't be a rocket science...