Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Plugin to Red Symbol doesn't work elsewhere?

I thought that when you created a Red Symbol from a custom plugin object (using "Create Plug-In Object" when making the symbol) that the Red Symbol could be used by others.  However, I just had my gaffer test a file with a few of my custom plug-ins which I made Red Symbols, and he can't even edit the info on them.  It's all greyed out.  I was under the impression that was the entire purpose of red symbols: to make plugins more portable.  Is this not the case?  Is there any way I can use these symbols in a way that he is able to manipulate and use them also?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@SamIWas The user still needs to have the script in the plug-ins folder. When you place a Red Symbol it places the Plug-in Object with the parameters pre-configured rather than just a symbol. So in order for someone else to use the Plug-in object they would need a copy of the Plug-in.

• Like 2
Just now, klinzey said:

@SamIWas The user still needs to have the script in the plug-ins folder. When you place a Red Symbol it places the Plug-in Object with the parameters pre-configured rather than just a symbol. So in order for someone else to use the Plug-in object they would need a copy of the Plug-in.

@klinzey  Oh, okay.  Well, balls.  I completely misunderstood how those worked, which makes all the plug-ins I've built useless for plans which are sent out to others (and stops ones I'm currently building).  I guess all the red symbols included with VW have a matching plug-in buried in VW somewhere? 😨

13 minutes ago, SamIWas said:

@klinzey  I completely misunderstood how those worked, which makes all the plug-ins I've built useless for plans which are sent out to others (and stops ones I'm currently building).  I guess all the red symbols included with VW have a matching plug-in buried in VW somewhere? 😨

Food-for-thought...:  might you be open to sharing those PIOs w. others on your team(s)?  For me, outside of my commercially-available tools, I've got several simple PIOs that I frequently include when sharing files.  That may or may not make sense for you depending on the tool(s) but is at least worth considering.

1 hour ago, C. Andrew Dunning said:

Food-for-thought...:  might you be open to sharing those PIOs w. others on your team(s)?  For me, outside of my commercially-available tools, I've got several simple PIOs that I frequently include when sharing files.  That may or may not make sense for you depending on the tool(s) but is at least worth considering.

Absolutely.  I'll share them with anyone who needs them.  Where it becomes unfortunate is that I don't work within a small team.  I work here and there and everywhere, and plots that I draw will be used by someone else who will then send them to someone else to refer to.  I was hoping those things could track across once I converted them to red symbols.   I was under the impression that the red symbol sort of "contained" the plug-in.  But I see now that it simply maintains field entries for an existing plug-in.

The only parametric objects that can be contained in a Vectorworks file are Marionette objects. Vectorscript or Python plug-ins are less limited and run faster however.

I put my plugins in a workgroup folder. That folder is on my iCloud but it could also be Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox, ... I can then share that workgroup folder with other users in the team, so they can also use the plugins.

• Like 1