Please clarify-11.5.1 3D section wall polygons

Hi, I have a 3D model made using walls and PIO windows. I have cut a 3D section from it and rendered using Hidden Line. My walls are covered with polygon edges. Especially as I have arched windows. I can't use this as I have modelled and cut a section to save time, not to create more work for myself clearing it up.

I have searched the forums on this and come up with several posts, but none of them seem to give a clear reason for why this happens or if there is a work around. It even seems unclear to me if VW 12 deals with this in a better way.

The upgrade to 12 is a very expensive option for me and one I would prefer to avoid, so other solutions prefered. Thanks, Nick

if that is the case, could someone that uses live sections in V12 say if that deals with the issue?

The only reason that I mention the arched windows is that the curve creates lots of polygons.

Strangely though, if I copy a wall that does this into a new file, draw a new wall in that file and copy symbols from the old wall into the new one then the old wall still makes polygons, but the new one doesn't. Why might that be?

[ 02-07-2006, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: NickB ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Cut 3-D Section command creates 3-D polygons for all the objects in the drawing, and then sections each of those by the sectioning plane. Because our 3-D polygons do not have individual edge hiding flags, when it creates those polygons, it can't hide the split lines it creates. Thus you see them. It is possible to hide all the edges for a 3-D polygon, so in some cases it may choose to hide all the edges and then you'll have less of an issue, but in certain renderings you may lose the edges you want. Solid addition might also work to combine surfaces and hide edges if you can do that.

The live section code, however, creates internal polygon records which do maintain the edge hiding of the split lines. Thus you don't get those lines. You do however, get the sectioning surfaces. And, of course, it can be updated easily if your model changes.

The "What's new in VW 12" PDF the Nemetschek web site shows a couple of example screen shots.

Thanks Andrew. That really helps just to get a handle on what's going on.

I still find it a bit odd that two similar walls with the same symbols in, cut by the same 3D section line render totally differently. One showing all of the polygon edges, the other a clean hidden line render as I would hope (and expect) it to turn out.

The only difference is that second is a newly drawn wall, the other a wall that has been joined, had it's fill changed a few times, and possible been healed (but nothing out of the ordinary for a wall, right?)

Anyway, I'll probably get down to redrawing the misbehaving walls to see if that helps me. If not, I'm going to be eating baked beans for two months and skipping bus fares.

Nick

[ 02-07-2006, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: NickB ]