BUG - Additional things that do not work inside an editing window

MHBrown

Question

Text. Text does not work when editing a 3D symbol. I want to add some dimensional text to a 3D symbol. In previous versions, I would double-click to edit, look at front elevation view, type my text, convert to poly lines, extrude, and place in position. Now when I try this the curser moves as if I'm typing text, but nothing appears. Add this to the list of things that do not work in editing windows.

Thanks,

Mike

VW 2020 SP4

MBP 16", Catalina 10.15.6

32GB RAM

4 answers to this question

I think it may be that you were in an elevation view and the text was entered on the Layer Plane so that all you can see the infinitely thin edge of the text. You probably want to enter the text as screen plane if you are going to convert it to a 3D object. Or make sure you have a working plane set and active "parallel" to the elevation view you are in.

Mark, thank you , but the reason I want to convert the text to polylines is not material to my question. Pat, I think you may be right, but I'll have to experiment. It had never been a problem in the previous 20 years, so I was curious as to why it suddenly was an issue. There are so many problems with edit windows with this version I may have assumed this was another one without thinking through it. Thanks for your advice.

Mike

Unfortunately when they re-did Symbol Editing to include additional components, it was changed so that Screen Plane objects get moved to the 2D part of the symbol immediately upon creation, as opposed to being parsed when you exit the symbol. We've never received clarity as to whether this was intentional or not, but there have been a few posts here and there wondering about it... I really miss the old functionality.

In the meantime, make sure you set the "Active Plane" dropdown in the view bar (to the right of the Layer dropdown) to something other than Screen Plane before trying to draw your objects. If you're working in an orthographic view, it would be "Screen Aligned." Let us know if this helps with your issue.

• Like 1