How to modify holes created in slabs when stairs change

Nicola Bird

Question

Hi,

I'm a newbie to Vectorworks and I need to modify a hole I created in a slab as my stairs have moved to the right and i cant seem to find any information on how to do this? Please see images uploaded. 

In the edit boundary on the right picture I cant access the boundary where the original  stair was cut what are the steps to do this please? 

Thanks Nicola

image.thumb.png.e78cdd70c5d487cc933e4cafd6ba8529.pngimage.thumb.png.db268edba25c4c638f72da0f4f4702e2.png 

image.png

9 answers to this question

May I pop into this topic with subsidiary matters ? 

When I need to edit a shape in the Edit Modifiers space, I realized two things : 

- I cannot actually edit a shape; I need to delete it and recreate it through the clip tool (pop up window says I cannot create a new shape, since my edited shape is considered as a new shape) 

- When I want to edit the slab geometry or the slab modifiers I cannot see the context (usually greyed out like when you edit groups) which makes it difficult to edit them. 

What am I doing wrong ? 

Edited by Stéphane

1 hour ago, Stéphane said:

When I need to edit a shape in the Edit Modifiers space, I realized two things : 

- I cannot actually edit a shape; I need to delete it and recreate it through the clip tool (pop up window says I cannot create a new shape, since my edited shape is considered as a new shape) 

That is strange.

I am not sure if I ever experienced that or not.

- When I want to edit the slab geometry or the slab modifiers I cannot see the context (usually greyed out like when you edit groups) which makes it difficult to edit them. 

What am I doing wrong ? 

You did nothing wrong.

Unfortunately visible environment in Edit Modes never has worked for Slabs.

The workaround I learned is that create your Modifier Geometry outside of the Slab,

where you can see the environment - select 2D and Slab together - and use standard

"Clip Surface" 2D Command to add it as Modifier.

And especially, if issue 1. is true,

to modify a modifier, bring it out again by Cut+Paste or delete the old one and redraw

from scratch.

BTW,

if you apply Slab Modifiers "by Component" you basically have no chance to modify them

later again, as all their 2D geometry lays in the same Modifier Space and you can't

differentiate which Modifier was meant for which Component(s).

So usually I need to redo everything from scratch.

Edited by zoomer

Thank you for your answer. 

Some inputs after having done some tests. Here are three different ways of doing holes in a Slab : 

1. Clip tool on a slab. Modify it via Edit Modifiers. 

2. 2D shape on a slab -> Select Slab + 2D shape and then Clip Surface as Pat suggested it. Modifiy it via Edit Modifiers. 

Now : 

3. Create Slab with Inner Boundary mode 271949894_Capturedcran2021-12-1516_42_49.png.34280746f9fca22895c624edd5e19a6e.png. This requires to have walls. Remove walls. Now you can edit the hole without entering in the Modifiers space via the reshape tool (or double-click on the slab). In this case there is no modifier. This is nice because a) you see the environnement b) it is straight forward. 

145119729_Capturedcran2021-12-1516_12_12.thumb.png.dfd9797939695464d8339ce7f6e6765d.png   1446423238_Capturedcran2021-12-1516_12_29.thumb.png.794f5a54c1db7df0189ba5935a6631a8.png

Funny story : 

I have actually such slabs in my drawing and I have no clue how I created them and I cannot reproduce them (and I am pretty sure I haven't created them with the Inner Boundary mode which is painful; hence my question below). 

Question : 

Is there another handier way to create a slab with an editable hole without modifiers ? 

Edited by Stéphane
5 hours ago, Stéphane said:

What am I doing wrong ? 

Nothing as far as I know.  “Working as designed”, with a terrible UI design?   I seem to remember another thread on this topic, but maybe a bug report ( in particular regarding context unavailable) , enhancement request, wishlist item is needed.  

59 minutes ago, Stéphane said:

Is there another handier way to create a slab with an editable hole without modifiers ? 

My mind has been refreshed : 

Draw a Slab -> Right click, Edit Boundary -> Clip your shape in there -> Now you have a geometric hole. 

Notes with this method : 

- When you are in the Edit Boundary space you still don't see the visible environnement. Once out of the Edit Boundary space, you will be able to adjust your hole with its context tho. 

- Don't know how it behaves with multicomponent slabs recess. 

- A modifiers hole can still overlap a geometric hole. 

PS : What I call a "geometric hole" is a hole that has no modifier and is editable without entering in the Edit Modifiers space as shown in the picture below. Hope it is clear enough. 

1446423238_Capturedcran2021-12-1516_12_29.thumb.png.794f5a54c1db7df0189ba5935a6631a8.png

Edited by Stéphane
  • Like 2

Now : 

3. Create Slab with Inner Boundary mode 271949894_Capturedcran2021-12-1516_42_49.png.34280746f9fca22895c624edd5e19a6e.png. This requires to have walls. Remove walls. Now you can edit the hole without entering in the Modifiers space via the reshape tool (or double-click on the slab). In this case there is no modifier. This is nice because a) you see the environnement b) it is straight forward. 

I think I never tried that before.

To create the complete 2D Geometry, including holes, first and create a Slab from it later.

(Which is also the recommended workflow for Extrudes)

If Reshape Tool works as expected without Slab Edit Mode, that would be great.

I remember having experienced problems in the past when manipulating an outer edge,

which also unwanted influenced the hole/opening inside.

But Maybe it was just that I was still in Selection Tool instead of Reshape Tool ....