Making a Sub D Object look more like soft/fabric object

Ive been tasked with created a model that needs to look a little more organic/natural. Im happy with the way my sub D looks so far but it still looks very  computer generated.  What are some ways I can add some wavy ness to this(think like a drapes or a towel but slightly less dramatic in terms of the folds..  I have applied a cloth texture but I want it to look almost like a shag rug or the stuffed animal like.  I cant give up the file so just looking for Ideas?

Would it be better to try and achieve this thru additional Sub D modifications or could I accomplish alot of this with a particular texture.  I notice when textures are applied to Sub D I dont have the same scale and orientation control that Im used to with textures? I started with the Renderworks Cloth Textures, but they look very flat.  Can I do better by modifying just the texture?

Also this item has to be created in Sub D.  Please keep that in mind. Looking forward to some good tips hopefully.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 9.42.57 AM.png

The only way to achieve anything close to that rug is to use a Grass or Displacement shader. First you'll have to convert a copy of the SubDiv object to a Generic 3D Solid, that way you can get better texture mapping controls than you can with the SubDiv object (which are very limited).

Take a look at this YouTube video on Grass shaders to give you an idea of how they work, changing the colors from green to white for your shag rug. HTH.

[NOTE: The grass shaders might get little funky as they wrap around the curved edges. What you're asking to achieve with that rug, may be more than what Vw can accomplish.]

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, HEengineering said:

The grass almost wont even work on the sub D.  and when I convert to generic I get geometry that goes missing. Textures can be a pain.

I would not expect the grass texture to work at all on the Subdivision object. That’s why you have to convert it to another object (Generic Solid, NURBS Surfaces, etc) before texturing.