cd_matjansen

Batch Export to VectorScript

Hello,

we would like to export lots (several thousand) Vectorworks files as VectorScript to use for further processing. The only option to process a larger amount of files is "Batch Processing", which unfortunately only converts files from the old format into the current one, and is obviously not what we need.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Matthias

If you are on Mac you should be able to write an AppleScript wrapper to open, do the export and then close the file and move the the next file. I wrote one  about 10 years ago to do a batch export as DWG. Export to VS should be similar.

If you are not on Mac, I don't know of any way to do a batch function on Windows.

Hi Pat, thanks for your reply! We also thought of writing an Automator script, but were hoping there exists a more robust and native way of doing this in Vectorworks.

No other way I know of. Vectorworks is really a single file based application. There is no (easy) way for a script in one file to impact a different file. Other than reading and writing resources.

Using an AppleScript to locate the files, open them in VW, and then execute a Vectorscript to do the export, close the file and move to the next one. Is the best that I have come up with.

I can try and dig up the Applescript if you would like.  The Vectorscript was embedded in the AppleScript if I remember correctly.