Seating Tool Help

I'm having a hard time trying to get the seating tool to do what I want.

I get that the tool is geared more towards drawing the boundary and populating the area with the chairs that will fit but its super difficult to hit specific seating goals such as 12 chairs wide by 14 rows.  More often than not, in the corporate event world, seating is dictated by fire marshal regulations and now with the pandemic, additional regulations are going to follow.  I've tried messing with the various settings to achieve what I'm shooting for but it just never works out.

That is the workflow that is meant to be followed with this tool?  What have other users had success with?

@SCParker Thanks for the great walk-through.  It really clarified some things for me.  For the most part, I was doing everything that you guided us to do.  I guess I was getting caught up on the boundary and trying to get too specific with it and letting it determine the number of chairs.

Side question: I have some custom chair symbols that I've tried to use with the seating tool but every time I select one in the settings pane, it crashes VW.  Have you noticed this as well?  If the symbol is in the drawing already it works but if its from my resources then it crashes.

Thanks again for the walk through!

23 hours ago, SCParker said:

Hi Ryan,

I happen to be in the middle of making a series of how-to videos on just this topic. Here's a rough edit covering exactly this. I'll be posting the series soon.

hth, Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the detailed walk-through.  Very helpful.  I've never really used the seating tool so I decided I should at least figure it out after watching your video.  I do have a question and a comment.  

• It appears the "nudging" a seating section causes it to lose its numbering.  All seats become number 1.  That does not happen if you move a section by a prescribed distance.  Does that seem to be the case for you?  

• It is a bit of a drag that you cannot modify multiple sections at once.  For instance, if one forgets to use classes, and wants to go back and add that functionality, you have to do it one section at a time.  

Regardless, thank you very much for the time and effort you put into that.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, scottmoore said:

All seats become number 1.  That does not happen if you move a section by a prescribed distance.  Does that seem to be the case for you?  

Yes, it does happen on occasion. I think my fix was to uncheck and check almost any box in the OIP and the section would do a recount/renumber.

Agreed on the editing of multiple sections at once. Still trying to figure out a workaround for that.

Thanks for watching.

Best, Scott

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
15 hours ago, Ryan Seybert said:

@SCParker Thanks for the great walk-through.  It really clarified some things for me.  For the most part, I was doing everything that you guided us to do.  I guess I was getting caught up on the boundary and trying to get too specific with it and letting it determine the number of chairs.

Side question: I have some custom chair symbols that I've tried to use with the seating tool but every time I select one in the settings pane, it crashes VW.  Have you noticed this as well?  If the symbol is in the drawing already it works but if its from my resources then it crashes.

Thanks again for the walk through!

Hi Ryan, Your new chair symbols should have the event planning record attached.

Best wishes

Tom W

• 2 years later...

I was unable to create this with seating tool.  I got close then converted it to a group

I needed 12 seats 

(it keeps bouncing from 11 t0 13 or

if i force 12 seats it justifies to the left or right not center)

needed to omit a seat at a column

when i omitted this seat the seat count was off

(maybe could have a aisle tool but cant find in any workspace ( my VW arch is up to date)

need 100 seats

want the left over seats centered on back row but seating is left justified so had to reshape the polygon to move them to the right

image.thumb.png.bbfde355e2f306a5e7d42fb7c853a3ce.png

image.thumb.png.55acdaeaa8165220b31a2fa34bb52e93.png

image.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Matt.

I needed 12 seats 

(it keeps bouncing from 11 t0 13 or

if i force 12 seats it justifies to the left or right not center)

You can choose fill direction in the settings (Primary and Secondary)

needed to omit a seat at a column

when i omitted this seat the seat count was off

(maybe could have a aisle tool but cant find in any workspace ( my VW arch is up to date)

This Seating section tool and corresponding Aisle tool can be found within Spotlight only.

need 100 seats

want the left over seats centered on back row but seating is left justified so had to reshape the polygon to move them to the right.

The primary and secondary fill direction will give you some control over where to put seats. However finer control can always be achieved by editing the boundary or converting to group.