Cannot Launch VW 2016 on 2014 iMac with OSX 10.15.6

I managed to install Vectorworks Architect (VW)  2016 on my Retina 5K, 27" (2014) iMac but the application crashes on launch with an error message saying Apple will be notified.  The application window opens, my license info etc. displays and then I get the error message, "Vectorworks 2016 quit unexpectedly. Click Reopen to open the application again. ..."  The VW application is  located in a folder, in the application folder, rather then having it installed the Vectorworks Application directly into the OS Application folder. Could that be the source of the problem?  Thanks for any assistance you may  be able to provide.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 11.54.55 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well, there are a couple of strange things here.  

Strange 1:  

I find that VW15 has run on every OSX from 10.11 through 10.15 without any major problems.  10.15 broke VW16 which wont even launch.  This perhaps suggests that it is not the Mac's OS that is causing the problem as older versions of VW work.

Strange 2:  

The compatibility chart claims that VW is only supported for ~ 1 year on the MAC platform.  From the Chart

VW16 is only supported through Mac OS 10.12 (which Apple released in Fall 2016),  

VW17 is only supported through Mac OS 10.13 (which Apple released in Fall 2017),  

VW 18 is only supported through Mac OS 10.14, (which Apple released in Fall 2018),  

etc.

This implies that there is only about a year's life in each release, which is surprising to say the least.

Thank you gentlemen for this information. I am currently running VW 16 on my 2008 iMac running OSX 10.10.5, while my 2014 iMac running OSX 10.15.6 with about 4 times the cranking power has to sit idly by because it can't run the application under the current OS, even  though the 2008 iMac is straining under the load when to comes to rendering, or even when trying to boot the program. I suppose I could re-install the old OS (10.12.12) into the 2014 iMac, but then I'd be out of Sync with Apple's updates AND I understand (and experienced) that that particular OS was rather 'buggy'.  So for now, I will leave it as is, and hammer on with VW 2016 on the 2008 iMac, running OSX 10.10. It's exasperating because it's a waste of the cost of new iMac and the VW 2016 application, since VW 2014 and 2015 will seem to run better on the 2008 iMac than does VW 2016,

Once again, THANKS for shining some light on this issue.  PERHAPS I will look at installing VW 15 onto the 2014 iMac. It may give phenomenal results (???)  MMMMmmmm?

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

VW15 is not perfect and problem free running under Mac OS 10.15, at least it works.

Apple gives developers years of warning before dropping a feature from software, so the lack of support cannot be only due to Apple.  Perhaps VW is just being cautious, but it is difficult to understand how they could drop support for each of their last 5 releases within12 months of each release.  My toaster has a longer service life.

• Like 1