Managing Your Upgrade

Just installed V12 Architect / Render works and wondered how everyone else is managing the upgrade?

There has not been as many problems posted as version 11 and 11.5 and so I assume it is all going smoothly.

Like most we have a set way of doing things and had established a master template / file to set up all new projects on with our classes and layers and titles, etc. Now are you all starting afresh or are you converting a v11 master file into a v12? Or is it best to start new and cut and past / import, etc into a new v12 file?

Discussion would be appreciated.

I am upgrading to V12 from a very old version. I am also going to buy a new Mac for V12. Can you recommend a specific Mac to purchase, including memory, hard drive etc. I will do mostly 2D work, very little, if any rendering.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mike S

You may or may not know that Apple is in the change over from using Motorola processor to Intel ones.

They have two models out with these new processors in. The iMac Duo Core and the Macbook Pro laptop.

Other new models will follow rapidly till by the end of this year all its models will sport Intel processors.

These machines have shown to be faster, by what amount depends on your loyalties and opinions, than the direct models they replace.

I'd take a look at the 2ghz Duo Core 20" inch iMac and see if it fits in your budget. Allow for adding the maximum ram it will hold, but don't buy it from Apple, it's overpriced, if buying from an Apple Store or their on line shop.

If buying from a dealer they can source equally good but cheaper ram such as Kingston etc.

Being an all-in-one machine upgrading its internals, apart from the ram, is a little impractical, but having said that it's so well equiped with built in bluetooth, USB, firewire etc. even a remote control that there is little in needs, if anything at all.

You could get the cordless keyboard and mouse set to go with it.

I'd keep the keyboard but ditch the mouse in favour of a multi button cordless from Logitech or Microsoft, but that's my personal preference as a windows and Apple user I like the benefits offered by multi button mice.

You could consider the Macbook Pro laptop if mobility is an important factor, but you are paying more for that mobility and unless you pay out even more for a large screen to work on in the office plugged into it you are stuck with its 15" widescreen.

For 2D Vectorworking both will be fine, but if going onto complex 3D and detailed renderings are on the horizon then you may want to look at the quad processor G5.

A fast machine, looks expensive but is in fact at a very good price compared to a Windows counterpart machine for having 4 processors.

This would be of little consequence in 2D work, although very fast, the rendering area of files is were this element and specification comes into play and makes a difference.

It's using the Motorola processors which Apple are phasing out but its such a well thought of machine, not long released that many have no hesitation in buying it.

I'd hazard a guess you'd look at the iMac and find it fine, and I challenge you to find a Windows all-in-one that looks anywhere near as stylish, beautifully finished and put together as the iMac Duo Core.

You will have to wait a little time for Nemetschek to bring out VW12 in the Universal Version to get the most from these machines, but until that time (not long I would imagine) you can get by with the OSX current version and use the Rossetta emulation built into OSX.

Alan

[ 02-02-2006, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

• 3 weeks later...

Michael, re: Managing the upgrade to V12. I am an architect in the USA so my experiences should be similar to yours.

What I have done is simply move my customized templates, notes databases and similar plus workspaces into a neutral file.

Then installed VW12.

I then installed all the items into the corresponding locations in the V12 folders. (Templates in Templates, etc.).

Everything seems to work OK except trying to use my customized title blocks in setting up new templates. It seems that V12 changes the database associated with their canned title blocks and I am having to completely redo my custom title block to work with any new project templates I need to set up. The problems stem from using the Issue Manager features.

When I use the prior version templates I set up, as long as I do not try to add sheets, the custom title blocks work OK with the issue manager.

I hope this is helpful to you.

• 3 weeks later...

That was helpful and we have avoided using Issue Manager and other features of architect for similar reasons - which is a pity.

The problem we are now having is that the file size increases on conversion {from 7MB to over 10MB and this only one off houses, extensions and not 12 storey office blocks] and viewports are taking forever to update. We run on pcs 40GB hard drive with 256 memory - perhaps we need to upgrade. We check out the memory usage and it has shot up to over 25,000k memory usage on the application just working on a section in one open file!

Christiaan

Thanks for your help.

Will most probably upgrade.

But we tried ticking 'structural and non-structural groups' in the advanced section properties of the object info - and things are running more smoothly and quicker - simple really when you know how!

Have also downloaded 12.0.1 but must admit see no difference?! Have a couple of questions on that if anyone can help:

1. How do you know you have successfully downloaded 12.0.1? VW still opens as 12.0 and is named as 12.0 in the top L/H name plate.

2. 12.0 and 12.0.1 are both shown in 'all programmes' and not in 'add/remove programmes'!?

3. 11.5 and 11.5.1 are still shown in 'add/remove programmes' and taking over 830 mb of space - I try to remove them and they can not be removed!?

Anybody else confused or have you got it sorted?

Any help appreciated.

[Confused]

MJW,

We have upgraded to VW 11.5, 12, 12.0.1 all within the last 6 months as well as switching over from 2D to 3D and renderworks, so we have seen alot of new "limitations" in the 3D VW realm.

To answer your latest inquiry, the only way we can confirm we have VW 12.0.1 is by using "Help/About VW"

FYI We too are experiencing VERY slow rederings, bugs with title block records, window and door insertion, roof and floor tool limitations, and a general lack of beta testing.

Maybe they'll get it right next time... [Roll Eyes]