shou sugi ban texture

Hello,

I have become pretty well versed over the years on VW modelling, but one thing I haven't conquered yet is textures for OpenGL rendering. I must be missing something because I am surprised at the lack of "modern" textures for architectural exterior surfaces. I tried looking under the service select libraries and there is nothing useful there either. It would be preferable to find a resource than to build my own. Sketchup and other rendering software seem to have an unlimited database of objects and textures to access.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a similar resource for VW? Does this forum have a sharing section I don't know about?

I am specifically looking for shou sugi ban (charred cedar siding) textures as well as panel textures (Swiss pearl) and standing seam metal roofing textures.

Thanks for your help!

Pamela

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 7/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, ArchiPam said:

I have become pretty well versed over the years on VW modelling, but one thing I haven't conquered yet is textures for OpenGL rendering. I must be missing something because I am surprised at the lack of "modern" textures for architectural exterior surfaces. I tried looking under the service select libraries and there is nothing useful there either. It would be preferable to find a resource than to build my own. Sketchup and other rendering software seem to have an unlimited database of objects and textures to access.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a similar resource for VW? Does this forum have a sharing section I don't know about?

I am specifically looking for shou sugi ban (charred cedar siding) textures as well as panel textures (Swiss pearl) and standing seam metal roofing textures.

@ArchiPam If you are noticing that Vectorworks is missing some textures or other resources you wish we had, please do submit such requests via the Wishlist section of the Forum. Include as much detail and as many examples as you can so that the Content Development team has as much info as possible to work with.

In the meantime, @jeff prince's charred wood texture above looks like it should serve you quite well.

When it comes to textures, if the existing collection in the Resource manager doesn't have what you're looking for, making your own is often the best quick solution. Typically it isn't too difficult to search the web for non-copyrighted, tile-able images as your starting point. After picking the one you want you can then tune all of the texture's settings as you wish. If you search for "Rendering" at Vectorworks University you should see a number of related videos, including a session specifically on Renderworks Textures, that will help with the process.

Also... There is actually a Resource Sharing section of the Forum and even a sub-section for sharing textures.

I hope this info helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/28/2020 at 11:12 AM, Luis M Ruiz said:

@ArchiPamBlue meeting room.jpg For more variate on cool textures, check out the mTextures Library. That became my go to place for my own projects. See sample

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 11.09.33 AM.png

I cannot import from mtexture. I am using Vectorworks Fundamentals 2022 running on PC. Do you know why? Please see attached screenshot! Thanks.

image.thumb.png.f4f3b71f1960659e432f7f5fb8c260db.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
23 hours ago, htranbos said:

I cannot import from mtexture. I am using Vectorworks Fundamentals 2022 running on PC. Do you know why? Please see attached screenshot! Thanks.

image.thumb.png.f4f3b71f1960659e432f7f5fb8c260db.png

We are investigating...

Dear Pam @Coast and Beam Architect,
I have checked unfortunetelly they haven't got Charred cedar, but they have a plenty rought free textures and other assets.
https://polyhaven.com/textures

all assets:
https://polyhaven.com
You can also check 
https://ambientcg.com/list?category=&date=&createdUsing=&basedOn=&q=wood+black&method=&type=&sort=Popular

Edited by Piotr Karczewski