Do you manage to work with multiple view panes?

@zoomer Sorry to hear that ... but hey that's a pretty good run.  I'm just amazed that the light source is still good after all of those hours.

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

This is exactly what I've experienced and one of the reasons I've largely given up on multiple panes. Which version of VW are you on?

@line-weight We're using VW2020 Designer (latest service pack). 

Here's what the primary view pane looks like when it starts to go buggy.  Part of the image displays at a different scale.  In this example, I had just one other viewpane open.

1867850923_ScreenShot2020-07-19at6_48_46PM.thumb.png.bc31627d8b6edec4118a4ed6ca78b585.png

1 hour ago, Taproot said:

@zoomer Sorry to hear that ... but hey that's a pretty good run.  I'm just amazed that the light source is still good after all of those hours.

@line-weight We're using VW2020 Designer (latest service pack). 

Here's what the primary view pane looks like when it starts to go buggy.  Part of the image displays at a different scale.  In this example, I had just one other viewpane open.

1867850923_ScreenShot2020-07-19at6_48_46PM.thumb.png.bc31627d8b6edec4118a4ed6ca78b585.png

Yes, that's exactly what I get. This has been a problem for some time. I raised it in the thread linked to below (see the video there), but I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned by others earlier than that.

Disappointing but unsurprising that 2 releases later VW have still not fixed this.

Edited by line-weight
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Coming back to this 6 months later and having upgraded from 2018 to 2021, and got a new mac -

I still have lots of problems with floating view panes; just general buggy behaviour. I mostly try to avoid doing any actual editing in a floating view pane, various things like snaps often don't work properly. So I sometimes use them to watch what's happening in a different view, whilst doing work in the main window.

Saved views often don't activate properly.

Additionally, I notice that just having a floating view pane open can make OpenGL navigation glitchy in the main window.

I'd hoped that the "smart options display" thing in 2021 would be a bit of a game changer for working across different monitors, because it would save me having to come back to the main window all the time to select tools and so on - but I can't really take advantage of it because of the unreliable behaviour once I'm working in the floating pane.

Will any of this stuff ever get dealt with or will the "floating view pane" just be another thing to die a slow death, used by hardly anyone?

On 5/25/2021 at 10:17 AM, line-weight said:

... lots of problems with floating view panes; just general buggy behaviour. I mostly try to avoid doing any actual editing in a floating view pane, various things like snaps often don't work properly. So I sometimes use them to watch what's happening in a different view, whilst doing work in the main window.

Saved views often don't activate properly.

Additionally, I notice that just having a floating view pane open can make OpenGL navigation glitchy in the main window...

I find all of these issues when I try multi view work...

Being a recent convert from Autodesk Maya and Max, the multi view implementation in VW 2021 (the only version I've ever used) is pretty wack.

I do occasionally use the floating panel to view a sheet layer on my second monitor while I'm modeling in the main window... but that's about all I've gotten to work without crashes, freezes or me just having to go for a walk in frustration.

VW isn't quite there as far as clean, quick, easy modeling interface.

...but I can't imagine going back to building everything in 3D - and then redrawing on another program in 2D! 

On 5/25/2021 at 10:17 AM, line-weight said:

...I'd hoped that the "smart options display" thing in 2021 would be a bit of a game changer for working across different monitors, because it would save me having to come back to the main window all the time to select tools and so on - but I can't really take advantage of it because of the unreliable behaviour once I'm working in the floating pane..

The ""smart options display" thing" gets so slow to react and the hit space for clicks so small that I'm always having to access it two or there time to get a tool active.

If they would just make the hit box a bit larger! 

Plus some times I literally move up to the menu AFTER activating 'smart options' and get here BEFORE the 'smart options' menu displays!

It gets so damn slow - at that point I realize it's time to restart VW.

...probably a good canary in the coal mine actually.

Edited by hollister design Studio
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...