Upgraded my Powerbook

I recently upgraded my G4 Powerbook. I added nearly a gig of memory -- now up to 1.25 gig; and I had the new Tiger OS 10.4.4 installed.

The results are a vast improvement in performance -- maybe 3-4 times faster in processing speed. I have no way of measuring accurately. A typical 2D drawing (about 800 mb) loads in a little more than a blink.

I would urge anyone using this computer model to upgrade. I makes for a much more pleasant experience.

You have files of eight hundred megabytes?

That's the equivalent of about six hundred of the old floppy discs(remember those).

And you say in 2D - that's a huge amount of information.

People said mine at 100mb was very high and these are 3D.

Alan

[ 01-27-2006, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

"A typical 2D drawing (about 800 mb) loads in a little more than a blink"

On my G5 loading 800mb file would take about 3-5 minutes. I've not tried that yet ... can't even image a 2d file that large.

Yes ... RAM makes all the difference ...

Certainly, you must mean 800kb

Now that should load in a blink ... ; > )

I've got an early (2003) 15" G4 Powerbook. It came with factory defect "white spots" on the display which Apple replaced under warranty. It's been very dependable otherwise.

I miss the simple efficiency of the Amiga hardware and OS. I have a 4000 tower. I liked that it was basically a CLI computer and everything, including the GUI, ran from the command line. Gave me the feeling of control that I don't have with the Mac.

Unfortunately, Amiga software and hardware fell way behind in the early '90s.

quote:

Originally posted by david bertrand:

... old Amiga, which was powered by a 68060.

Now those were good times! Sorry, a bit off topic...I had a A1200...Fantastic machine...Even at 14Mhz (68020) with only 2mb of RAM!!! Pity...

Anyway...What model and speed is your Powerbook David?

-JTo