how fast is V12 on DP G5?

I've been using V11.5 on my DP G4 1.25/1gig/128Gefore4 Ultra/10.3.9 and the program is sometimes painfully slow on sheets with a lot of references/viewports. I literally wait seconds for the drawing to regenerate itself (cache and hardware acceleration are on).

I run AutoCad 2004 on a 733 P3 laptop and the program is smooth as butter even on big drawings. Has anyone expereinced the fluidity of AutoCAD? It seems no matter how small the drawing file, vectorworks seems to lag. I love the program, but sometimes it's a slow hog.

Does a dual G5 with a new graphics card make the difference?

I suspect this is down to programming than anything else. Its a similar story in the MCAD sector when updating drawing views from 3D models. Most Windows only software I have used/or use (SolidWorks, VX, Alibre Design, ThinkDesign) update drawings very quickly - in seconds usually. Most Mac/Windows dual platform software I use (Ashlar Cobalt, VectorWorks) update slowly on BOTH platforms. Speed of update is pretty much the same on a Windows PC or a Mac of a the same sort of spec.

No idea why this should be, but if I have to do any serious complex modelling I use a PC. Its just faster (or maybe the software is more optimised for OpenGL display?).

Maybe the dual platform development is creating a performance hit?

My working files are usually 300mb+ with dozens of Layers and Classes, and textures and a few hundred symbols and a couple WGR links. All the models are hybrid with heavy reliance on NURBS even for small stuff.

For normal 2d redraws and tools there's nothing to complain about. Whereas, for 3D alot depends on the density of the model as to polygon frequency. Low - medium is satisfactory. Most of my wait states occur during changes to Classes, textures, symbols due to the intense memory addresssing involved.Therefore, all my work is segregated into Layered components and linked via Mod-Layers. There are so many little tricks to save time and unnecessary wait states.

Viewport annotations tend to lag but a zoom snaps em back.

Patience is very important... I've learn to let the program do it's thing, and if it gets to confused quit ... re-start.

Saving the file quite often really helps with the over all flow.

During high levels of activity I use 'Activity Monitor Utility' to keeps tabs on VW ... allowing it min. 90% of the processor.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to start an Apple vs PC thing here :-)

Fact is we have no less than 5 macs and 3 PCs, including an old (but was very expensive) Silicon Graphics Visual NT workstation running NT! Given a choice it would be macs every time, but the simple fact is that so much software for engineering/product design just isn't available on the Macintosh platform that we have to use PCs.

I just say it how I see it. For product design work, which involves heavy use of complex surfacing, things work faster on PC. My great hope was that the Intel Macs would allow installation of Windows so I could run both OS's on diferent partitions as a dual boot afair (or even windowed as in Virtual PC), but alas, my new Intel iMac doesn't even recognise the Windows XP install disks.

Apparently I'll have to wait until Vista is out to achieve this.....bugger! My software developing friend did explain why but it was over my head (but then most of what I do is over his, so I don't feel inadequate!)...I phased out at BIOS.

Still, I know all the tricks to make an app sing, but I'll stand by what I said before. 3D runs much better on PC. I'm talking about actual use here - OpenGL shading, OpenGL hidden line, view manipulation. For processor intensive operations like calulating fillets or shells or even renders, both platforms are pretty much the same.

My great hope is that now Mac is Intel we will get access to some of the better graphics cards on the market - not just the games ones.

I run VectorWorks 12 on a new dual core Power Mac G5 and it screams!!!

Screen re-draw has been massively improved in VectorWorks 12 when scrolling/zooming and panning thanks the implementation of Apple's Quartz technology in VectorWorks 12.

A faster machine with a decent graphics card will give you better results but Quartz in 12 is the key. Can't imagine how good things will be once Apple has fully implemented Quartz 2d extreme in Mac OS 10.4 or maybe 10.5.

Jason

Poor Open GL performance on Macs is something discussed at regular intervals on other forums I visit, mainly cgtalk.com and is the one thing that counts against Apple computers in this respect.

I understand some time ago they were advertising for staff with particular experience in this so it sounds like they are addressing the issue.

But, at present the implementation and drivers related to graphics cards are way behind compared to Windows users, even when compared to similiar cards.I believe Apple writes its own drivers for these rather than get say nVidias or ATI's to write them.

Remember this only relates to screen redraws etc. Anything such as hidden line rendering etc will rely on the speed and power of your CPU not your GPU.

I tend to work in wireframe mode constantly, exporting for rendering purposes, and don't notice much performance difference from my office G5 to my Home P4.

As time goes by my preference is leaning more towards Apple and if things continue to go the way they have been going with the greater potential offered by the switch to Intel cpu's then that will for me tip the balance in Apples favour and I'll be going all OSX.

Alan