Capped Wall Openings

nwfonseca

Question

We really need capped wall openings that are independent of doors. I work in the museum industry and we build partitions that have openings without doors or a jamb in them (they are also pretty common everywhere else actually). However, currently in vectorworks there is no way to do this using walls with components (at least not that I am aware of). During construction  when you punch through a wall you cap it with drywall, you don't just cut a hole and leave it. There are workarounds such as making all the components the same color but that only works if you don't render line-work. When you render with line-work you can be left with at least 3 shapes and six lines on the faces of the openings. The baseboards in our museum are flush with the drywall with a 1/2" reveal separating them. I add them by using a vertical offset of the front drywall component. If the baseboard wraps into the opening there is no way to inset the trim as you would on the outside of the wall. Another workaround is to not use walls and use generic solids but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a wall tool. I can rapidly create the walls in my space but I spend immense amounts of time trying to get the walls to behave the way I need them too. I am surprised there is no way to do this without having to do a workaround.

• Like 4

1 answer to this question