Existing Tree not working AND Placing new trees (VW-AEC)

Hello, I am new to Vectorworks and I am still painfully learning the software.

I am trying to place existing trees in a site plan but I can't manage to see anything happening. I select the tool, click on the model, pick an orientation and all the options display. I can see all the different options EXCEPT graphic options. Then, if I click ok, nothing shows up. There are no tree, nothing. 

Additionally I haven't been able to find a tool that allows me to place trees or plants. I am very frustrated by how many symbols of random things are available but not plants. Is this because I have VW architect? Is placing plants something only available to VW landmark and designer??

I've check my workspace options, looking for hidden tools, and the only two landscape tools I can see is existing tree (which doesn't work anyway) and foliage. 

I do have the VBvisual plant option for rendering but this is not what I want. I need 2D/3D symbols for my plants in the plan. 

Thank you

Are you using the Existing Tree Tool in the Site Planning Toolset or something else to add your existing trees?

I’m on Designer/Landmark, so I am unsure if the tool is available in Architect.  If using the Existing Tree Tool, make sure the Active Class is visible and your attributes are set up correctly.  Change to Top/Plan view when adding the Existing Trees and they should show up just fine.

I use the tool frequently with great success.  It is super powerful.

Basically, you select the Existing Tree Tool, set the preferences, and start dropping them into your document.  Once they are placed, you can edit the data in the OIP or add an existing tree report to your document and edit it from there.  You can represent the trees in 2D and 3D, in fact it gives you the ability to generate an actual 3D canopy and trunk based on your selections and data input.

Hope it helps.

• Like 2

The Existing Tree Tool is only available in Vw Designer / Landmark, not Vw Architect.

Vw 2020 Help File : Placing Existing Trees

With Architect, you are limited to placing trees as a graphic 2D/3D hybrid symbol. The more site / landscape-specific tools like planting schedules, tree canopies, Existing Tree Tool, etc. are part of Designer / Landmark.

For reference, here is a LINK to a pdf comparison of all of the Commands / Tools by Product Version.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 3
On 7/11/2020 at 3:45 PM, rDesign said:

The Existing Tree Tool is only available in Vw Designer / Landmark, not Vw Architect.

Vw 2020 Help File : Placing Existing Trees

With Architect, you are limited to placing trees as a graphic 2D/3D hybrid symbol. The more site / landscape-specific tools like planting schedules, tree canopies, Existing Tree Tool, etc. are part of Designer / Landmark.

For reference, here is a LINK to a pdf comparison of all of the Commands / Tools by Product Version.

@rDesign  Are the 2D/3D hybrid symbols available in any included library? or is something that I need to find elsewhere, download or create myself?

Thanks for your help!

There are some included 2D / 3D landscape plant symbols which can be found using the Resource Manager (images attached below show folder locations for some of them). Some of the plant / tree symbols in are 2D only, so if you want 3D, you'll have to add the 3D component to it yourself.

vw-objects-landscape_plants.thumb.jpg.fdedd3fd7f2ca19b25b6d41a4ded062d.jpgvw-objects-entourage_plants.thumb.jpg.d4d1eed0f786c2c664c6b45eebf6cdc6.jpg

Some of the Vw-included symbols may be too large / small, so you'll have to scale the symbol according to your needs: Either by scaling each symbol instance on the Object Info palette (see attached image below), or by scaling the 2D linework inside the Symbol itself.

1684919586_scalingOIP.thumb.jpg.c88f701e6671f01a238651586f4068bb.jpg

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1