BGD

Image prop from 2D & 3D imagery

Hi,

Is it possible to make a plant's image prop using 2D or 3D photorealistic imagery available in Vectorworks Libraries > Objects > Landscape Plants > 2D Imagery Elev Photorealistc and Vectorworks Libraries > Objects > Landscape Plants > 3D Image props photorealistic?

Thanks

Hi @BGD--

Please let me know if this answers your question:

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.21.25 PM.png

Edit Plant Style>Visualization>3D Graphics>Copy from Symbol>Find desired 3D image prop photorealistic.

• Like 1

thanks for the reply. I get your reply about 3D images, but is there a way to use 2D image resources too. As in there are lots of relaistic images under VW Libraries>Objects - Landscape Plants>2D Imagery Elev photorealistic.

image.thumb.png.f1fec87203d6085a6ba325d289cb3ee2.png

Yep, same way just use the Top/Plan Graphics dialog in the Plant Style.

• Like 1

@BGD keep in mind you can use your own images as well when you inevitability can’t find what you need in the Vectorworks libraries.

• Like 1

@bgoff  No, I mean is there a way to convert 2D image in Vectorwork libraries as 3D images for a plant style? For e.g. can I make a plant style for Anigozanthis that uses the 2D image available in Vectorworks Libraries > Objects - Landscape Plants > 2D Imagery Elev Photorealistc > Herbaceous > Anigozanthos 'Amber Velvet 1.0 Elev as the plant style's 3D view as shown in the print screenshot?

Thanks

image.thumb.png.d5cfbabfbeca5de4b130b773dcc47116.png

@jeff prince Is there any free resource with good collection of plant images (cut out types) to create image props?

Thanks

59 minutes ago, BGD said:

@jeff prince Is there any free resource with good collection of plant images (cut out types) to create image props?

Thanks

I gave up on finding free or even paid plants long ago because the plants I need are pretty unusual and specific to desert environments.

So, I make my own from photographs I take or sometimes find on the internet.  It's pretty easy to cut out plants using an iPad with a pencil in Affinity Photo.

In regards to your question about using the 2D images in the VWX library, I believe those are already referenced by plant objects and 3D image props of the same name in the library.  So, if you wanted to reuse them on a different plant...

Follow @Tony Kostreski instructions from above, note he is pointing at 3D Image Props Realistic in that example.

Alternatively,

1. insert the plant that has the image you want from the VWX library of plant styles if for some reason it can not be found in the image props folders.

2. select the your plant that you want to use the image from the plant in the first step.

3. edit plant style

4. under 3D, select "generate from symbol" selecting the plant symbol you just inserted

Done.

The method I use is to create my plant images for use as image props within a plant style...

Edit a photo in Affinity Photo/Photoshop, save as PNG with a transparent background.

Import the image into VWX as a resource.

Create my new plant and then add the "3D" using create from image.  This builds the image prop for you.

• Like 3