Nudge

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by CJohnson:

A...there really should be a nudge feature independent of the grid...

"Nudge" IS independent of the grid. You're talking about "Move Objects on Grid".

Open VectorWorks preferences to see and change the type of arrow key that controls each of those.

jan15, I think Chris means something a little more advanced. In my passing familiarity of Powercadd you were able to define the nudge distance as a real value, 1/4" or 12" etc. It meant that you could be at any level of zoom and be moving the object the same amount.

HTH

quote:

Originally posted by ionw:

...In ... Powercadd you were able to define the nudge distance as a real value, 1/4" or 12" etc. ... you could be at any level of zoom and be moving the object the same amount.

But what you've described is VW's "Move Objects on Grid" function (new since v9 or 10).

You set the 1/4" or 12" as the "Snap Grid" distance (Page > Set Grid), and then each arrow stroke moves the selected objects 1/4" or 12", regardless of zoom.

Only one click and one numeric entry to change the setting, and the function is always active, using your choice of shifted or unshifted arrow keys. Powercadd has something better than that?

Only easier in this way, there is a status window that pops up, where you could:

enter the amount directly,

select from presets, (also a list of recent used distances)

or choose to move via pixel defined distances (like VW)

The nicety was that you could easily have a quickly accessed list of distances you could use, you didn't have to go in and reset the grid each time you wanted to use a different distance.

Look I'm not trying to start a CAD peeing contest. 98% of my 12 years using CAD has been MiniCAD/Vectorworks. I was simply pointing out another program's tool, one that every PowerCADD user I have trained on this program has asked for.

Truth be told I do not use the snap to grid, nor do I use the Nudge command I simply know how they work, so I don't know how much authority I bring to this conversation.

[ 02-07-2006, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: ionw ]