fence railing tool sucks

jnr

Question

15 answers to this question

Peter:

It seems it always locks up (especially panels and frames) everytime I use it. New files, old files even a clean new install of 2020. Eventually I have to open yet another blank file, get it to work, then past it back into whatever I'm working on. That it is slow as sh*t (even with a 2 meter section) doesn't help. That you can't use it to actually build a fence on god forbid, a DTM (something that is not flat) is a joke, but that's a different conversation. Maybe its the same guys who write code for our fabulous stair tool....

All I was trying to do was a simple metal 6' tall metal fence with vertical 3/4" pickets, 4" o.c. Regardless of what I changed (panels, frames, symbols, dimensions etc), it would only give me a solid fence that was fubar. I don't use this tool that often because it's typically so cumbersome. That it's not like a wall where you can insert say, a matching gate doesn't help. Maybe better served building it using a curtainwall wall style or in the case of a DTM, extruded and or duplicate along a path which at least you can send to surface.

-J

• Like 1

Thanks Peter. I was able to get something to work in a new file. As I mentioned seems like lather, rinse repeat. Start using it in a file that has info, fence craps out, open blank file, start a new fence, modify as needed, copy and paste to get what's needed.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 16.32.30.png

I agree that it is very tedious to select classes one at a time, especially in cases where a fence is all the same material (nearly always!). It would be immensely helpful if the class of all of the various components could be changed en-masse. This would be a good enhancement request.

My usual workaround for these overly-deep, mouse-click intensive dialogs is to either duplicate one fence (eg) and changed it's length, or sometime use the eyedropper tool to transfer attributes.

• Like 3

Hello all,

I agree that the tool needs some more attention. I recall there have been a number of troubleshooting posts regarding various aspects of the tool, e.g. posts being rotatet at 45 degrees at corners, panels created in the middle without a possibility to set its alignment, no possibility to have straight and inclined sections in one object.

I have recently noticed another thing which is a bit limiting. I tried to create a weldmesh fence with rectangular aperture, where vertical frame bars are at different distance then the horizontal ones. The settings seem to allow for only one distance to be used which results in square aperture. Am I missing something?

I really struggle with designing railings on top of inclined walls. Even when drawing it traditionally (or more contemporary traditionally in CAD), one needs to consider offsets and elignment to achieve a pleasantly looking balustrade/ railings. Making straight sections and inclined separately and trying to get them work is either impossible, or very difficult, but certainly time consuming. Some level of improvement can be achieved with extruding along polyline. What disappointed me eventually, was the fact that the plane of end profile, if still on a pitch, was inclined which didn't work with the end post of my balustrade. All very time consuming and not offering value for [the commission] money.

I eventually tend to draw my railings in a section viewport. 

• Like 1
On 7/25/2020 at 6:21 PM, Michal Zarzecki said:

I tried to create a weldmesh fence with rectangular aperture, where vertical frame bars are at different distance then the horizontal ones. The settings seem to allow for only one distance to be used which results in square aperture. Am I missing something?

You didn't miss anything. I came across this many moons ago and have just had the displeasure of finding it still exists. My workaround was to use the post settings for vertical bars and the bars setting for horizontal bars only. Then just model your posts separately either with extrudes or even use the Railing/Fence tool again.

This time I've submitted a formal enhancement request. VE-102285

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2

Is it on a single line path or a polyline?

When you have a single line, you can set a different elevation for each end.

When you have a polyline, it has to be level.

So if you want it to follow a non-straight line on sloping ground, you have to make each section individually and manually adjust the elevations of the ends of each to match its neighbours.

• Like 1