How do you set EN coordinate points to match XY

We have set the setting out point of the building to an XY co-ordinate which seems to be displaying correctly, but the EN coordinate displays something completely different. Is there a sequence of resetting internal origins of a siteplan / drawing so that these both read the same?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

HI
Yes - in 2020, the template files are georeferenced by default. In a Georeferenced file, the Easting and Northing reports the coordinates from the geographic coordinate system, rather than the equirectangular X and Y cartesian coordinates. But, there are two options you can take to resolve this:

1. Retain the georeferencing (in UK files, the default is EPSG 27700 - British National Grid), and align the User Coordinate System: Tools > Origin > User Origin - and choose the option Set User Origin to Match the Georeferencing Coordinate System.
    OR
  2. If you don't want the georeferencing at all, choose File > Document Settings > Georeferencing, and uncheck the first checkbox.

All the best

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you don't specifically need the GIS stuff, this should be fine. Just make sure that you have the same user coordinates over the internal origin, across all the project files.

But... if you are interested in looking at the opportunities that the GIS options offer, please let me know and we can schedule some time in the diary to take a look.

• 6 months later...

Hi gang, sorry to butt into this slightly old thread, but it's the closest thing I could find to my issue.

I'd like to reverse this operation... I am (probably through my own ignorance) unable to get the Easting and Northings to be what I want them to be. The X and Y co-ordinates are perfect (by 'Next Mouse Click Is' on a known station point), but when I use the 'Set User Origin to Match the Georeferencing Coordinate System' the X and Y get moved to the Easting and Northing values.

I'm not sure what I need to do here.

image.thumb.png.4f9e14fbde220df70e53d7023a120efe.png

Personally I haven't needed to use geo located information, but it may have something to do with the document georeferencing settings.

I think when i played around with these i could set the geo ref co-ords to match the E/N points. Its the first check box.

I didn't use geo referencing as i wanted the drawing origin to be the same as the internal origin to avoid drawing glitches which were caused by the objects being so far from the internal origin.

good luck

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 10.02.35.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 10.02.43.jpg

Edited by Redmodro
  • Like 1

Hi Redmodro, thank you for such a quick response!!

So, the process you describe is what I went through (and is my normal way of setting this). I should mention that we have just moved to 2021 (SP2), and this is the first time doing this in 2021.

I have also ensured that the Internal Origin is over the known station point.

Ah! That last screenshot of the Document Georeferencing! My Latitude and Longitude have the same values, but I can't find anywhere that will convert milimeter accuracy OS grid references to Lat and Long values with the same accuracy.

As you mention, we don't tend to use Georeferencing that much either, but when we share files with others (or even copy and pasting from one drawing to another) the sites are miles apart and potentially dangerous for us to 'eyeball it'.

Tamsin Slatter (above) seems to be very knowledgeable on the subject, if you have a service select membership i would use it and contact her or the VWX technical team, as beyond what I've shown you it would just be trail and error. I couldn't get to grids with the georeferencing element as we didn't have an accurate georeferenced picture or site plan and or known station points to cross reference but if you do i thought that they self align to those points.