If(then) function in Worksheet

Hi,

I'm trying to use an "If(logical_test,value_if_true,value_if_false)" function in a worksheet.

I refer to the syntax of the manual, so I've got for example :

value 7 in cell A1

value "if((A1=7),A1,0")in cell B1

I expect to get 7 as a result in B1 yet I only get my formula recopied...

I don't get it... Any clue?

Hi Raymond,

sorry, I mistyped, I did put an equal sign.

When I enter "=if((A1=7), A1, 0" in B1, it writes "=if((A1=7), A1, 0" in the cell. It does not treat it as a function...

Also, if I make a data base listing e.g. all the rectangles of the drawing, if I enter =Area, it returns the area of each listed rectangle, but if I ask for =Area(B1>100), it does not return (as I expected) the area of the corresponding rectangle if B1 is superior to 100, but it does return "true" or "false" according to whether or not my condition is fullfiled...

This is odd. On my system it works as expected with or without spaces in the formula, and with or without the brackets around A1=7.

In fact the only way I can get the formula to display as text is to put a space in front of =. I don't see a space in front of LMT's example...Have you tried a restart and a fresh new doc?

In your database header this: =IF(AREA>100, AREA, 0) should do what you want.

This is indeed very bizarre, I've sent the file to techsupport, I'll tell you what they say.

I've tested with or without spaces : the result is the same. I have no space before the = sign...

See (no spaces on the left, spaces on the right:

-

As for the AREA formula, CCROFT's proposal alas does not work. The result is in B3.

I've got a true/false value in C3 by entering the formula =AREA(AREA>0)

-

I'll send that want to techsupport as well...

Will let you know

• 13 years later...

I think Julian means nested, or something like this:  

=IF((A1=1), 'Red', IF((A1=2), 'Blue', IF((A1=3), 'Green', IF((A1=4), 'Yellow', IF((A1=5), 'Orange', IF((A1=6), 'Purple', '?'))))))

Though, I thought the limit was 7.

Edited by M5d