Property line on 3D model?

@Chris Rogers If you reconstruct the property line using VWX's property line tool, the resulting object can be configured in the OIP to act as a texture bed, which will then appear on your site model very nicely.  If the property line tool is too aggravating to use, you can alway trace the property line you have been provided with a polyline and use "create objects from shapes" to make the property line object.  Attached is an example of this, the purple area is a property line object depicting a preservation area of the project.  Incidentally, all the other items shown on the site model are also texture bed applications using hardscapes.  It's really one of the nice features of a site model and VWX in my opinion.

1079364488_ScreenShot2020-07-02at5_16_15PM.thumb.png.524802df058fd1e665e8ceeaaf89ca7e.png

• Like 2

Methods described above are probably best, but, just in case . . .

Another way to project the line onto the site model, assuming the dwg property line is 2d lines and/or polygons:

•Select the dwg objects that comprise the property line.

•Compose them to become a single object.

•Duplicate in place if desired, otherwise the source object may be lost.

•Then - Terrain>Send to Surface.

Result is a 3d polygon residing on the surface of the site model.

This is quick, but has no relevant data for the segments.

-B

• Like 1

Thank you for the input. Terrain>Send to surface added the line to my model. I can't seem to figure out how the texture bed thing is supposed to work nor have I found any tutorials that explain it. Are the 2012 and 2015 tutorials still valid?

I have a property line object, but it has no effect on the model. Does is matter if the property line Z elevation is 0 and the lowest contour of the model is 520? I tried changing the property line Z elevations, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Edited by Chris Rogers
Additional info.

OK, I found where switching the site model to Proposed Only causes the area of my site to turn white while the rest of the site model remains green. I have't found an explanation of what a texture bed is, what it is for, how the model knows what is proposed vs existing for the logic behind that function, or how to control the 3D graphics display of the model. It doesn't seem too be tied to the 3D graphics dialog box....or I don't know what I'm doing (most likely scenario).

@Chris Rogers Sorry, I didn't realize you are on V 2011.  I don't know if the tools I highlighted are available in that version or how they function back then.

The Getting Started: Site Design course at Vectorworks University has a pretty good explanation of Site Models starting at lesson 14.  It's not for your version, but it does a good job of explaining the functionality and logic behind it all if you want to understand it.

In regards to texture beds, they essentially allow you to project the 2D geometry onto the site model without actually changing the source geometry or creating a duplicate of it.  This is super useful for hardscapes since you can change them from a 2D texture bed that conforms to the site model to a slab that has 3D components with a quick selection in the OIP as the project develops.  Anyhow, there's a lot to it all and it takes some study to make it easier.  I think it's worth the effort to learn it if you do a lot of site work, as a landscape architect I really don't have a choice in the matter as it's kind of prerequisite to every project for me 🙂