Lights In Viewports

Hey all, I am working on some rendering and I was wondering what render modes actually use lights? I created a viewport and there isn't a difference if the lights on the design layer are on or off. Do the lights only affect certain render modes such as Open GL? I am using a custom renderworks style set to Realistic-Interior 16 bounces-both ambients on. I have an exterior heliodon and a few point lights in the interior and they light up the design layer super bright in open gl but they don't have an affect om the viewport.

A penny for your thoughts...

I figured out what was "wrong" though to call it wrong is technically not correct. I have the indirect lighting turned up to 16 bounces, which cancelled out the brightness of the lights. When I turn up the intensity I can now see the shadows cast. I wonder if I drop down the number of bounces if that would equalize things. Or, I can try with the indorect lighting turned off.