Importing PNG with Alpha Channel

trashcan

Question

I have a PNG plus alpha image I created in photoshop. I can confirm it has alpha channel. 

Per the documentation:

image.thumb.png.83da7fe7c75e5c2842859d7d9d7dde33.png

I am using a Mac. 

When I go to import that image, here are the options in the dialog box:

image.thumb.png.5848899ddcdfa19a6fcbf7014fe60c4e.png

🤔

Bug? Or am I missing something. 

12 answers to this question

@jeff prince seems like a similar issue but not exactly the same. Are you able to import PNGs with Alpha into VWX as resources? 

Either way related to the same underlying problem. 

Oddly, I can copy and paste them in - but then can't use them as resources. 

My work around has been to use the Alpha + PNG and make a Luma Matte that matches the PNG. I use that Luma Matte as the mask for the PNG when I bring it in as a resource and turn it into a prop. Worked fine, none of the grey stuff happening. Though I haven't tried it in RenderWorks yet. 

I've also found that if I bring in other images (say a floor plan reference) it masks the image prop for some reason. The work around for that problem has been to apply image effects on the floor plan reference and then toggle them off. Obviously a bug. Silly. 

There seems to be a lot of issues with bitmap / images / import / export. Sometimes I wonder if this kind of stuff even gets QA'd... 

Edited by trashcan

@trashcan there are a bunch of example images and files in that thread I linked above.

Here is another one especially for you 🙂

I took an image off the internet, ghetto masked it, saved as PNG w/alpha.

I brought it into VWX as a resource.  Drag and dropped it onto a rectangle.  Made an image prop of it.  Made a texture out of it and applied it to an extrude.

Hope it helps.

trashcan.png

trashcan.vwx

• Like 2

@jeff prince hahahahahah made my day

Taking your PNG, this is what shows up for me on import:

image.thumb.png.e25fe676e9061f7a968b2abac5741dab.png

No option to import the alpha channel. 

I SOLVED IT! 

Instead of looking for the alpha channel in the compression method "Import Image Options" panel- it's a setting you need to change in Image attributes. In "Image Attributes" changing compression to PNG, and then selecting "Full color with alpha" - allows use of the PNG alpha channel. Though "Import Option" still doesn't display the "Import Alpha Channel" - a little counter-intuitive but does the trick. 

image.thumb.png.1e35517e496883e21f84c51dc9fcb959.png

New issue - on a new document, creating an image prop yields this result. I just did a fresh install of VWX so I'm sure it's some obvious setting. OpenGL texture is on. 

image.thumb.png.fcd2865894da29dfdca40838805222fb.png

I suspect this is some kind of setting. If I open up an older file that has image prop, it works fine. 

@jeff prince definitely bizarre. I'll try to debug that image prop issue and circle back if I figure it out. 

Image prop is working now after a relaunch of VWX. 

Still confused re: importing image. Great I found a workaround, but definitely strange behavior. Seems like a very very specific bug. 

Edited by trashcan

Still having that problem over here, but here's a solution that works sometimes. 

1. Import the image as a resource. 
  2. Change the Image Attributes compression method to see the Alpha
  3. Create an image prop using that imported image
  4. Edit the texture, select Transp --> Image Mask and apply the alpha in there. 

I've found that if that doesn't work, you can reduce the resolution of the PNG before bringing into VWX and then it works as @jeff prince describes above.