Why no octane, redshift or anything for VW

I was wondering why my favorite program VW has noneof the great render plugins like Corona, Redshift, Octane or you name it. Or why does it not have plugins for easy export to Blender or Unreal Engine for instance. It has for C4D and that works fine. But you end up getting a list of extra subscriptons on top of VW.  

All other CAD apps like 3dsMax, Archicad, Revit, Sketchup, Blender, C4D and so have a wealth of add-ons. VW stands alone with an old outdated render engine. There is Lumion off course which is great but you wonder why there is no such thing for others.

Corona Render is for 3D Max and Cinema 4D only. 

Redshift is coming to Vectorworks as an integrated service (see this article). 

Enscape is coming to Vectorworks as an integrated service and there is already a public beta that you can download and use.

Twinmotion is coming to Vectorworks as a live sync plugin but may already be used if Vector models are exported to it.

Artlantis already supports Vectworks with an integrated plugin.

Maxwell studio can be used with Vectorworks, though there is no integrated plugin.

Not sure about Octane/VRay/Maxwell.

Lumion is outstanding for what it is (fast and can handle large models).  Buying/using Lumion is a bit like buying/using an Apple or Wacom product --- it is very refined and well-designed for what it does. 

Regarding Renderworks, check out Luis M Ruiz' work:

also check out: 

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/scorm/player.php?a=22&currentorg=articulate_rise&scoid=44

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/scorm/player.php?a=77&currentorg=articulate_rise&scoid=154

Edited by jmanganelli
  • Like 4
On 6/30/2020 at 5:30 AM, jmanganelli said:

Corona Render is for 3D Max only.

It is for both 3Ds Max and Cinema 4D.

Whilst it's encouraging that Redshift is coming to VW, Redshift currently only works with Nvidia GPUs, counting out most modern macs.

• Like 2

Tx for the replies.

At the office they are now using Lumion with VW and it looks fantastic. I think livelinking VW to Lumion is at the moment the best option for VW. If you have the budget it will save you tons of time compared to any other option.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, frv said:

Tx for the replies.

At the office they are now using Lumion with VW and it looks fantastic. I think livelinking VW to Lumion is at the moment the best option for VW. If you have the budget it will save you tons of time compared to any other option.

Yes, that is why I say it is like buying an Apple product or a Wacom product. The degree of refinement, stability, integration, and quality is exceptional......but you pay for it.....

The only issue we’ve had with lumion is that it is not a light simulator, so depending on light, atmosphere, and settings, materials will look great, maybe even almost photorealistic, but may not be a completely accurate representation of what the materials will look like in reality. So it is important to manage client expectations if you do not think that the materials are rendering accurately (even if they look good).

Edited by jmanganelli
Typo

Today I did some tests in C4D with groundcover, Mograph and randomizers. With a few clicks I had a landscape, randomized assets, hdri ligthing and a spade from Quixel Bridge. This render took about 5 min with Corona-render. With Octane it would probably take less than 10 seconds.

I don't think VW will ever be able to have the tools for landscaping and terrain modeling with all the assets available. If you look at what Graswald, Bentanji, Vizpark, Foresters and so many others are bringing to the market ready made for C4D.

I am thinking all we need from Vectorworks are livelinks to external renderers and to have Nemetchek keep up to date with VW to C4D.

groundcover 5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Really cool!  Beautiful!  How much of a learning curve is there with C4D?  Any stability or slowness issues?  

Have you tried lumion?  The live sync plugin works really well. It is also very good for entourage. I completed a corporate campus render model in lumion 10.3 recently that covered an area of about 3/5 of a square mile and had about 6 buildings, roads, parking lots, sidewalks, a bridge, a hundred or so cars, 3D grass, a couple dozen people, and about 60,000 trees (campus included densely wooded foothills) and it was stable and fast with an Rtx 2080 ultra gpu and produced beautiful renderings. All entourage was done in Lumion. Fhd renderings took about 1-5 minutes each. 4K renderings took 2-12 minutes each but typically 2-5 minutes. 8k renderings took 10-40 minutes each. 

Edited by jmanganelli