Unconstrained Linear Dimensons - Help

I have not been able to get this to work the way I want.

I am unable to have associative dimensions work with non orthogonal dimensions.

I use the same method on constrained and it does not work.

I am unable to dimension to windows, doors then edit the dimension and have the door or window

move accordingly.

Must be something I am missing or doing incorrectly.

Very frustrating.

Make sure you zoom in or use the Snap Loupe to ensure that both ends of the dimension are actually snapped  (small green square around the snapped to point) to objects. And make sure one of the ends snaps to part of the wall and one snaps to part of the door.

I just did it here with a non-orthogonal wall and and Unconstrained dimension. When I changed the dimension the wall shifted position, but that was because I started the dimension on the door. When I started on the wall it worked as you wanted and the door moved.

Thank you both.

Yes, I have the settings as you show.

Let me clarify,

When I left click on wall, (I have mine setup for interior walls to snap to left and right of stud

as we dimension to framing, not drywall) and try to find center or end of door or window,

inline with stud face, it does not associate.  No matter where I left click on door or window points.

I am able to dimension walls and opening to openings just fine.

I do not have this issue with constrained linear dimensioning.

I will try again.

Rod

You can only snap to vertices, not to a generic point on the object. So you might not be able to snap exactly in line with your start point but rather pick the center or edge of the jamb that is closest. The slight difference in the length due to the angle should not be a problem with typical construction dimensions.

Pat,

Thank you!

Will set openings by insertion point and distance.

Then dimension.  Do the math if needed before moving to desired location.

This is a needed ability in my opinion.

To me,  Unconstrained should work like Constrained.

Drawing would be easier.

Finally, the perfect use case for Rotated Plan View.

Rotate the plan so the wall in question is horizontal or vertical. Use the Constrained Linear Dimension tool to enter your door and window dimensions on that wall. Un-Rotate the plan (did you know that simply going back to Top/Plan [Zero on the number pad] will unrotated the drawing?) and you will have non-orthogonal Constained Linear Dimensions that you can double click and change and move the doors/windows.

Cool!!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar issue w/trying to create associative dimensions. I'm using VWX 2020 - Spotlight, SP 4. 

First off, I NEVER see the small green square...I only ever get blue squares. Yes, all the settings are correct in Document Preferences. 

Secondly, I am able to create associative dimensions between some objects, but not others. For example, I can set it up to measure the distance between rows of chairs, but not between rows of tables. 

Any thoughts or insights as to what I may be doing wrong or not setting correctly? Thanks. 

Probably the biggest issue with Associative Constraints (used for associative dimensions) is that they can ONLY be used between vertices (or at the very least primary snap points) of objects. So if you are trying to put an associative dimension between two object you HAVE to have a vertex at each end of the dimension.

To make sure you truly have (I believe you have the settings right, but please test for us anyway) the settings correct, start a new file. Make sure you are in Top/Plan. Draw two rectangles, separate and with the bottom edges aligned. Draw a Constrained Linear Dimension from the bottom right corner of the left rectangle to the bottom left corner of the right rectangle. You should get the dimension with the green squares at both end points. If you do, double click on the dimension text and type in a different dimension. The rectangle on the right should move to the new dimension.

If the above does not work, then we need to take a closer look at how you have your settings.

Hi Pat...Thanks. Yes, running that test using "simple" elements (rectangles), it did work. And, it did exactly what I wanted - when I moved one of the rectangles, the dimension re-sized to reflect the new distance between them. 

It's considerably less useful if associative dimensions cannot be established for more "complex" elements...really esoteric things (in the events world) like tables, chairs, etc. I am regularly adjusting things like distances between rows of chairs or tables, space between the first row of seats and the front of the stage, etc. It would also be nice if associative dimensions would work with grouped objects such as groups of seating or tables that need to be moved collectively...often a case when trying to satisfy fire marshal regulations, etc. 

Is there a way to determine which elements/objects have vertices or primary snap points? Or, is there a way to "fake out" VWX into thinking they're there? I have a fair number of "complex" elements/objects that I've created and would love to be able to apply associative dimensions to them/their spacing. 

Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, ddonia said:

It would also be nice if associative dimensions would work with grouped objects such as groups of seating or tables that need to be moved collectively...

Below is a thread from 2016 on associative dimensioning of symbols to give you more insight into the limits of dimensioning grouped (container) objects. I don’t think the functionality has changed much since then.
Yes - it would be nice if associative dimensions worked as you described.

Edited by rDesign

Thanks, Pat and others. 

So, it does work by adding a locus point. I created a locus point, then placed it appropriately on my object/symbol (and then grouped the point to the object). I only had to add a locus point to one of the objects. Now I can create an associative dimension between the 2 objects and the dimension will resize as I move one of them. Perfect! 

I'll have to see if it still holds true if I place the locus point in the object prior to creating a symbol, so that the locus point is actually a part of the object. 

Thanks again for the hints. 

-->Dave