Multiple Wall Types in single wall element

jcaia

Question

In residential we run into this situation/condition all the time, where a exterior wall needs to have a section of interior wall based on its location to roof lines.  Below is a video of a good tip, but very cumbersome process to what is a VERY common condition.  VW just needs to be able to handle this common condition far more elegantly.

Edited by jcaia
  • Like 1

6 answers to this question

VW simply isn't able to draw things like rooms in roofspaces properly in top/plan, especially when you want to show construction buildup even at a basic level of detail. For example in the drawing in the video there is an external finish and insulation shown in the dwarf walls that separate the eaves spaces from the room.

Best in my view to draw them as horizontal sections, and just use solid modelling (or possibly stacked wall objects) for things like this. More flexible and probably no more cumbersome/time consuming to draw and edit.

Edited by line-weight

I actually use Chief Architect a lot for residential simply due to how much faster it is for that type of work - though i would FAR prefer to use VW for everything.  This is the only quick video I could find to illustrate how it can be done with ease.  It will get across the point of how easy a solution it could be for VW.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, jcaia said:

In residential we run into this situation/condition all the time, where a exterior wall needs to have a section of interior wall based on its location to roof lines.  Below is a video of a good tip, but very cumbersome process to what is a VERY common condition.  VW just needs to be able to handle this common condition far more elegantly.

I agree it would be very useful if walls could have stacked components like this. Another similar example of how vw walls don't work in both 2d and 3d is with dormer or gable walls where the top/plan "cut plane" needs to cut through a roof and wall to see the floor layout. The roof needs to be seen below the cut plane but cut away above it so that the floor layout is visible. @lineweight's technique of using horizontal sections would definitely work here tho it would be good if there was a top/plan solution for those of us invested it working in top/plan.

I'm not holding my breath on VW adding these features anytime soon however...

In your video workaround for stacked wall finishes I am wondering if instead of using a door object to create your cutaway in the wall it might be better to create an appropriately shaped extrude, turn it into a symbol and set it to insert in walls with a full wall break and also place it on a NonPlot class. The Symbol/extrude I think might be easier to create and edit than a door object and can be any shape you want. I quickly did this vid to demonstrate.

Cheers

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Boh said:

In your video workaround for stacked wall finishes I am wondering if instead of using a door object to create your cutaway in the wall it might be better to create an appropriately shaped extrude, turn it into a symbol and set it to insert in walls with a full wall break and also place it on a NonPlot class. The Symbol/extrude I think might be easier to create and edit than a door object and can be any shape you want. I quickly did this vid to demonstrate.

That was my thought too, as I think the door method would constrain you to symmetrical shapes.

On 6/29/2020 at 3:31 PM, Boh said:

I agree it would be very useful if walls could have stacked components like this. Another similar example of how vw walls don't work in both 2d and 3d is with dormer or gable walls where the top/plan "cut plane" needs to cut through a roof and wall to see the floor layout. The roof needs to be seen below the cut plane but cut away above it so that the floor layout is visible. @lineweight's technique of using horizontal sections would definitely work here tho it would be good if there was a top/plan solution for those of us invested it working in top/plan.

I'm not holding my breath on VW adding these features anytime soon however...

Cheers

Great suggestion.  That video I posted was just something i found searching for how to do that in YouTube.

I do think the folks at Vectorworks would be wise to consider residential construction a bit more than they do right now - since its a natural market.  Residential architects/designers are less likely to be part of a larger firm - and larger firms are far more likely to use Revit.

I love Vectorworks, but for residential modeling its not great.