Vectorworks 11 slow?

Mawgan

I'm running a 1.8 gig G5 Mac with 1 Gig of RAM and a GeForce card (I'm not sure which honestly) on OS 10.2.8 with Vectorworks 11.0.1 Landmark - I have noticed that Vectorworks is occasionally VERY slow, for even the most basic of tasks.

For example, if I leave Vectorworks and come back say 10 minutes later, just selecting a line, clicking zoom out once etc, there is a pause followed by the darned OSX rotating colour wheel. The pause can last 20-30 seconds and is quite annoying obviously.

This problem is much worse when it comes to rotating a large amount of data, or working on a referenced vectorworks file of only 20-40 meg, where the redraw or regen on screen is very bad, and there is a noticeable lag.

I spoke to a Vectorworks 10 / OS X user, and he also has the same problem, basically involving regen or redraw on screen. He thought that it was an OSX problem in terms of the graphics card being utilised to perform regen rather than available RAM (as he stated OS9 operates).

Has anyone else had similar problems, or can you offer any advice? Is this a Vectorworks problem at all, or should I take it up with Apple??

• 3 weeks later...

A few people in our company (mostly G5's and G4's) have commented on the same problem. Simple actions of all types cause a pause followed by a prolonged OSX rotating colour wheel. One project team has even reverted back to VW 10, in frustration.

Changing Hardware Acclerated 2D Navigation preference does not appear to have any affect. Nor does restarting the app or the station. It's very frustrating.

Robert:

It looks like this is a major problem for anyone using a Mac.

Is this problem likely to be fixed with OS 10.4, or could it be fixed with a Vectorworks Update - 11.2?

I ask this as the problem is something of a common annoyance and frustration every day now, and I'm losing time just watching my machine struggle to select a polygon. Obviously other users are having the same problems. VW11 is great otherwise, but this could make us think of using another app.

Is there anything on the horizon to solve this?

There was a bug that was introduced with OS X 10.2.8 that made our selection dreadfully slow. This bug no longer is a problem in OS X 10.3.0. That is not to say you will not have other slow downs, but there should be a dramatic improvement in selection speed for those of you who are using OS 10.2.8. when you upgrade to OS X 10.3.0.

Lyndsey

Hey all, I'm a new user of Landmark 11 and thought I'd add my two cents. I logged on to see if there was any discussion pertaining to any other machines freezing up. I'm 30 days in, and may be returning the package. Despite a GeForce 5200 card and over a gig of ram (on windows) once around 10 plants with customized info are in my designs, to even activate the 2d selection tool is a 30 second wait. Then, to select something is another 30 seconds. Am I missing something? At the moment, as I learn the program, I find it to be unuseable by any standard.

My last hope: Upon upgrading my ram, is there anything I should have done to my machine to utilize it fully? It's made no difference, and yes, I did enable it within Vectorworks prefs.

It can't always run this slowly. It wouldn't work for anyone. Please help!

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin R:

Hey all, I'm a new user of Landmark 11 and thought I'd add my two cents. I logged on to see if there was any discussion pertaining to any other machines freezing up. I'm 30 days in, and may be returning the package. Despite a GeForce 5200 card and over a gig of ram (on windows) once around 10 plants with customized info are in my designs, to even activate the 2d selection tool is a 30 second wait. Then, to select something is another 30 seconds. Am I missing something? At the moment, as I learn the program, I find it to be unuseable by any standard.

My last hope: Upon upgrading my ram, is there anything I should have done to my machine to utilize it fully? It's made no difference, and yes, I did enable it within Vectorworks prefs.

It can't always run this slowly. It wouldn't work for anyone. Please help!

Hi Kevin, have you only worked in version 11 ? I am using 10.5 and whilst landmark has had bugs along the way and is still clumsy at times I have no problem placing hundreds of plants and still do not have hang time using tools or working around the drawing. (apart from the very big memory leak problems I have at the moment ! )

I have not used VW11 so I can not say how the landmark has been performing, but I am interested in your experiences as I am thinking of upgrading soon [Eek!]

I run 10.5 with hundreds of plants in a drawing with half the RAM you have and the same gforce card so I don't think this is the problem.

Robert ?

[ 11-01-2004, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

I'm tapped for ideas. I think it is the program actually, but like I said, I'm hoping there's a simple setting of some kind to work out the kink. Sketchup models that are 20+mb, Photoshop high-res color sheets that are 36" x 48" (200mb) are all just fine and a pleasure to work with, no lags.

I have noticed that things bog down dramatically upon initiating the plant catalog. Not just the first time, but once I attach data to plants, it is very quickly downhill. So I don't think it's a file size issue, something with the plant editor. Please help, anyone. I see the potential for greatness with this program, but I'll be returning it by week's end without an increase in speed.

Hi Kevin R, I feel your frustration but try to stick with it because when you get landmark working smoothly it is terrific.

ps. having said that I am watching with interest as I am thinking of upgrading to 11 shortly but only if landmark has improved and is running well and bug free.

[ 11-01-2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

Hey Viper X,

I'm with you. At the moment, I literally can't use it, though. I've been trying to see what it does in different situations/isolate the problem all day. In a brand new doc, I set up the catalog, drew three, and while it was processing I clicked on 2D select tool, and got "Runtime error" and a shutdown. It's definitely the plant catalog/database. In another drawing without plants, it's 10mg of detailed fills/construction areas and it's problem free.

I'm dying to use Landmark, I'll be severely bummed if we can't resolve this...

Kevin & Viper

Been watching this with interest. I am running an XP Pro machine, 1 gig of ram,3.1GHz, Ver. 11.1

I only experience slow downs when I have hundreds of symbols placed and have the "Draw 3D" and or "Enable plant style" checked in the object info box. Also do you have "3D by Default" checked in the Define Plant dialogue box. If so, uncheck it.

Hope this helps.

Hi tvetter, How have you found landmark in VW11 ?

1. Has it improved from 10 ?

2. Above all is it stable ?

3. Is there any major advancements over version 10 ?

4. Have you imported files created in 10 ( with hundreds of plants ) sucessfully into 11 without any problems.

5. Would you confidently recommend upgrading to VW11 landmark from 10 ?

Hey Robert, thanks for checking in. It seems that once I put in a couple of plants with attributes, an otherwise smooth, normal design session grinds to a halt, using any command. It's subtle with 3 trees, then with 20 shrubs added with styles, various species, etc., forget it. I had to export what I had done up to that point into LT to finish the drawing. :-/ I'm trying to get away from it!

Ho there Twetter,

Thanks. I'll look at those this afternoon. Question: I'm a little green, so I'm not sure if GHz would affect my speed as dramatically as ram. I've got 1.8, is that a +/- for my situation?

As for the plant styles/draw 3D though, I'm lagging after literally 10 plants, and yes they have both options checked. Gotta be something else... this sucks.

Kevin

Uncheck plant styles and draw 3D.

I think ram is more important. Also video ram.

I think 11 is an improvement over 10. There are still things that drive me crazy, like having to select plants from symbol list instead of a dialogue box of plant names - Robert, I know I am not the only one saying this, But all in all, it is better.

11.1 is as stable.

Major advancements - hmmmm, I would say it depends on your practice. I do more site planning than big, detailed planting plans.

Imports from 10 to 11 have been ok.

Definitely upgrade.